Hi. My 32 years old daughter was diagnosed with skin lupus. I know what lupus is, but I have never heard about skin lupus. She was prescribed with anti-malarials and don`t know what that`s got to do with lupus? Does anybody know something about skin lupus?

Yeah, my Mom has skin lupus, this type of lupus affects primarily the skin. Skin lupus also affects the hair and mucous membranes. Anti-malarials are here to treat your skin when you have lupus. Those meds are very effective in treating subacute curaneous lupus. A skin rash is also one of the symptoms of lupus. Anti-malarials are the best for skin and joint symptoms of lupus, and a real help when you have muscle and joint pain, inflammation of the lining of the heart or lung, fatigue and fever.

I was diagnosed with skin lupus at the age of 27. I am 35. The specific form of lupus that I have is "Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a chronic skin condition of sores with inflammation and scarring favoring the face, ears, and scalp. I do not have systemic lupus.
According to my dermatologist what I have is rare because I only have it on the skin. I have only found one way to help the inflammation and control the outbreak. I get cortisone injection. Cortisone injections into the lesions is usually more effective than the ointment form of cortisone. or any other ointment that is usually prescribed.
For systemic lupus, a drug named Plaquenil will often improve the condition. Patients on Plaquenil need eye exams once a year to prevent damage to the retina of the eye and periodic blood work. Because of the side effects I stop taking Plaquenil after two weeks of starting. Definitely read up on it.

hope this info helps...

Good afternoon everyone. I have had a problem with a recurring rash around my eyes, on top and underneath, as well as on the side of my forehead. The rash appeared while exposed to the sun after an extended period of time. The rash at times gets better then reappears. I have been tested for Lups, due to acheness and joint pain all over, including pain in my face. This is something that I can't seem to shake and have wondered if Lupus is infact a factor. I'm waiting test results from the doctor. In the meantime, I'm wanting some answers to my problem and wondering if someone else is having the same symptoms???? Signed ~~frustrated young lady~~