Hi, folks. A good female friend of mine has been suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus for years. However, she would like to get pregnant. I would like to know how this disease would affect her pregnancy. I know that in past women were advised against pregnancy. I hope this has changed in modern ages. Can anyone tell me something more?

Hi. You are right. 20 years ago women with lupus were advised not to get pregnant. However, things have changed. If the disease is controlled, there are no obstacles. It is advised for a woman to concept while her disease is in remission. Of course, these women should have a special care during her pregnancy. This is something where both obstetrician and gastroenterologist should be involved. Your friend should talk to them. I hope everything will be all right.