Hi. I was diagnosed with systemic lupus and my doctor has proscribed me Cytoxan. Now, my friend have cancer and I know that Cytoxan is a drug used in the treatment of cancer. I think that that means that I have a cancer too, only that my doctor wouldn`t tell me so. Is Cytoxan a med for treating lupus? I also have a kidney disease.

Hi. Yeah, Cytoxan may be used in treating lupus. I don`t think that your doctor gave you the wrong diagnosis. Meds play an important role in the care of patients with systemic lupus, such as anti-inflammatory drugs, corticosteroids, anti-malarials, cytotoxic and research drug. The choice of the right drug is highly individualized. Cytotoxic or immunosuppressive drugs are used to suppress the immune system. Cytoxan is a type of a cytoxic drug. This is a drug reserved for patients with serious manifestations of lupus (including lupus kidney disease). Important to say that patients on cytotoxic drugs are more likely to contract viral infections.