I was wondering if there is anyone, who could tell me the difference between Taxol and Taxotere. I want to know does one work better than the other for particular types of breast cancer does. My doctor suggested Taxotere, but did not really give me a good explanation as to why, so I am a little bit worried. I have a cousin with the same problem as I have, but she used Taxol. I want to start with treatment, but only if I get your opinion.

Taxol and Taxotere are both from the same family of medications, which are called the taxanes. Both of these drugs show a high level of activity when used as single agents in metastatic breast cancer. In reviews of reported studies, when compared with standard therapies Taxotere looks to be the most active single agent then Taxol. There are some differences in the treatment schedules of these two medications, and there are some differences in their side effects. You have to know that Taxotere decrease white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, flu-like symptoms, fluid retention, numbness and tingling to fingers and toes. Side effects of this drug are also muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, and decreased appetite. Taxol also brings you decrease of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, allergic-like reaction, blood pressure or heart rate changes during the infusion of the medication. During treatment with this drug you might notice mouth ulcers, numbness and tingling to fingers and toes, muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, and diarrhea. As you can see, those are similar drugs, but since your doctor prescribed you that one, I would recommend you to start with your treatment as soon as it is possible.