I have heard for so many cases when someone has problems with bone marrow. I think the disease is called leukemia, but I am not sure. However, I think this is interesting, everything, that I have heard until now, about it. That is why I would like if anyone could tell me more about this part of humane bones. What is its role in organism, and where is it exactly placed?

Bone marrow is the tissue comprising the center of large bones. It is the place in human body, where new blood cells are produced. Bone marrow contains two types of stem cells, called hemopoietic cells and stromal cells. The first cells have ability to produce blood cells, while and stromal can produce fat, cartilage and bone. Stromal stem cells have the capability to differentiate into many kinds of tissues. Hematopoietic stem cells give rise to the three classes of blood cell that are found in the circulation, and those are leukocytes, red blood cells or erythrocytes, and platelets, or thrombocytes. The tissue of bone marrow, where pluripotential hemopoietic stem cells form, is called myeloid tissue, and this is important to know to understand this process. Long bones are tubular in structure, and the hollow middle is filled with yellow marrow. While the majority of long bones are formed of compact material, at the ends are the epiphysis. Bone marrow has fallen out of favor as a food, and it is being used only as a flavoring for soup these days. Bone marrow is a source of protein and high in monounsaturated fats, which are known to decrease LDL cholesterol levels. Some believe these results in a reduced risk of coronary heart disease, prompting them to make bone marrow important dietary staple.