Hi, folks. My sister in law has been diagnosed with cancer. One of her treatment options is bleomycin. I have read somewhere that it has many side effects and among them there is a possibility of bone marrow suppression. I was hoping to find out something more about this. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. All cytotoxic drugs are toxic not only for malignant cells, but for other cells in the organism as well. Bleomycin belongs to a group of anti neoplastic antibiotics. It has many side effects. It indeed suppresses bone marrow, so there is the decrease in the blood levels of red and white blood cells and blood platelets. It is also known as pancytopenia. As a result, there is higher tendency to bleeding, infections and anemia. That is why one must control his/her blood from time to time in order to prevent this. I hope this helps. Bye!