I am desperate for my 12 years old son was diagnosed with aplastic anemia. I have noticed that he is weak and has fatigue and it is very easy for him to get bruises and he also suffer frequently from prolonged infections but I never thought this could be a sign of nothing serious until recently. He felt actually and just gets a little scratch but wound won't stop bleeding that easily and the same evening he started feeling very weak and that is the moment I have decided to check out what was wrong with him. So I have got his blood test results that showed he has got mild aplastic anemia-could somebody explain to me what aplestic anemia is about and what would be the best treatment-his doc recommended immunosuppressants.

Hi! My 16 years old daughter has been diagnosed with mild aplastic anemia also it was about 2 years ago and she is taking Thymoglobulin which is an immunosuppressant that suppress the activity of the immune system –which is actually the main problem in my daughter case, her immune system is actually attacking her bone marrow so this med is helping her organism to generate new blood cells. Anyway being diagnosed with aplastic anemia means that your organism is not able to produce no new blood cells-all their forms meaning red and white blood cells and platelets so that is why your son has got such frequent prolonged infections and constant fatigue. Also mild aplastic anemia could be treated and controlled with blood transfusions-my daughter had one up to now and though it won't cure no aplastic anemia the blood transfusion is effective in providing the patient new blood cells reducing the disease's symptoms.

I am 25 and came down with severe Aplastic anemia at 21. As soon as I was diagnosed I was hospitalized and given Antithymocyte globulin (ATG). This a drug that targets a type of white blood cell called T cells. T cells are an important part of the immune system. T cells direct the rest of the immune system when to attack foreign cells such those that cause infection. They also help in the attack. My T-cells were attacking my bone marrow and this was meant to wipe them out, restarting my immune system. Sometimes this works and the anemia can go away. This is given over a few days and will take a few months to recover from. I also took, Cyclosporine — a drug that targets T cells, and Prednisone- a steroid.

After two ATG treatments with no/little improvement, I opted to have a bone marrow transplant. I was matched through the national bone marrow registry (marrow.org) with a donor and a few months later, traveled from Arkansas to Seattle Washington to have the transplant. It was a complete success and I no longer have any hematologic problems, besides from having slightly lower blood counts than others, but perfectly within the normal range. Since it has been over a year since you posted this, I hope you have been able to find the treatment your son needs.