Hi, I have been diagnosed with parkinson's. The reason why I went to see the doctor is the trembling of my left hand. Also, I have noticed I have trouble standing up when I sit for a while. I thought that there is something wrong with my bones, but the doctor determined otherwise. After he performed some tests, the diagnosis was made. He scheduled another appointment for next week when we will discus treatment. Could parkinson's be treated with medications?

Hi, Parkinson's disease is a condition that is caused by low dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine plays an important role in the control of muscle movement. Without it, involuntary movement characteristic for Parkinson's occur. The condition is life long and it cannot be cured. However, there are medications used to treat Parkinson's and to slow its progression. Basically, the medication that is used in the treatment can be divided into two categories. There are drugs that increase the dopamine levels in the brain and the drugs that mimic dopamine action. Levodopa is the most used drug that is transformed into dopamine when it gets into the brain. As I said before, the medication is used to slow down the progression of Parkinson's disease and the cure does not exist. You should definitely keep your appointment with the doctor and listen to his every advice. With the right medical care you will have greater chances in controlling the illness.