Hi, there is something that interests me a lot. My uncle has Parkinson's disease. He takes some medicine, but his condition is not improving. I think that the doctors should concentrate on the treatment of Parkinson's disease causes and not the symptoms. But I have never heard them talking about this. Could you tell me what are the causes of Parkinson's disease?

Hi, it would be great if the doctors could treat the causes of Parkinson's disease, but this is not possible. You see, the scientists don't know what causes this condition. They know that the symptoms are related to the deficiency of dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter our brain cells use to communicate. Without it the muscles do not receive information to relax and are in a constant state of contraction. Why the brain cells that produce dopamine die is, in most of the cases, not understood. This is called idiopathic Parkinson's disease. However, there are some nonspecific causes of Parkinson's disease and they include genetic mutations, head trauma, toxins like pesticides and some drugs that induce symptoms of parkinsonism. So you can see that there isn't a better treatment for your uncle than the one he is getting.