Hi, I have noticed some strange symptoms in my behavior. Sometimes, when I watch television, my left hand starts to shake for no apparent reason. Also, I feel constantly tired and I feel like it takes me much longer to walk from one place to the other. I fear I might have Parkinson's disease. My father had this condition, but I cannot remember what the first symptoms in his case were, because I was very young when he was diagnosed. Could anyone tell me which symptoms appear first in parkinson's disease?

Hi, I have to say that the symptoms you have described are consistent with the early signs of Parkinson's disease. When enough brain cells that produce dopamine die, the first symptoms occur. This neurotransmitter reduces the contraction of the muscles. When the brain isn't able to send information to the muscles, they cannot relax and this causes the tremors. Also, one of the early symptoms is bradykinesia, or slow movements. This might be the reason why you feel tired and need more time to get from one place to another. And finally, since the muscles are in the constant state of contraction, you feel it is hard for you to move them. You also have one more disadvantage when it comes to Parkinson's disease. These are your genes. It was determined that genetics plays a role in the Parkinson's development. However, you shouldn't automatically think you have Parkinson's just because the genes are not on your side. Sometimes the symptoms you have described can be assigned to aging process. So you should see a doctor as soon as possible. A neurologist will be able to make a right diagnosis.