Hi, my father suffers from parkinson's disease for three years. So far he is responding well to his therapy and the doctor says that his condition is progressing very slowly and that the prognosis is good. This confuses me, because I am aware that parkinson's disease is not curable. So, what does the doctor mean when he says that my father's parkinson's disease prognosis is good?

Hi, Parkinson's disease is a condition that the scientists don't know what causes it. Therefore, the cure for this illness doesn't exist. The medicines used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease help the patients with the symptoms. When doctors talk about prognosis of Parkinson's disease they refer to the speed of development. You see, there are five stages of Parkinson's disease. But, not all the patients with Parkinson's disease deteriorate in the same way. Some of them go through all five stages of illness in seven years, while others can live with Parkinson's disease over twenty years. And for a better part of these years they are able to live productive lives. Your father's doctor probably had this in mind when he said your father's prognosis is good. And nowadays, besides the medicines, there is also a surgical option that may help with the symptoms and provide your father even greater chances for the slower illness progression.