Hi, my husband has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease five years ago. Fortunately, he responds very well to the therapy. But there is one thing that worries me. I know that the Parkinson's disease is not curable and that its progression cannot be stopped only slowed down. What I would like to know is do all of the patients with parkinson's disease have to progress into advanced stages of parkinson's?

Hi, advanced Parkinson's disease is the last stage of the disease's progression. When a person reaches this stage, the medication is no longer helpful. And because a person has used the medicine for a long time, the side effects start to limit the possibilities for the treatment. When a person enters this stage of illness, he is unable to take care of himself. His posture is changed and his movements are so affected that he needs help while walking. After a while the walking becomes impossible and a person is restricted to a bed or a chair. Also, in advanced stage of Parkinson's disease speech and swallowing becomes difficult. Because there is not cure for Parkinson's disease, all patients go through the advanced stage of the illness. The only question is how fast the illness will progress. Since your husband is responding well to his therapy, there is a great chance he will postpone the onset of the advanced Parkinson's disease.