Hi, I have a friend whose father has Parkinson's disease. I don't know much about this condition, but my friend has told me that it cannot be cured. However, he always talks about his father medications. What I was wondering is what is the point of Parkinson's disease medications. I mean how do these drugs help my friend's father if he can't be cured?

Hi, Parkinson's disease is indeed a chronic condition that can't be cured. But it does not mean that a person affected by it should not be offered some kind of help. Parkinson's is a serious condition that affects the central nervous system. The neurons in the brain that produce dopamine are destroyed. Dopamine is an important substance that is used to control muscle movement. If there is not enough of this neurotransmitter present, the characteristic movements can be seen. The medications help your friend's father to slow down these effects. Most of the medications that are used are used in the process of dopamine metabolism. This means that these drugs interfere with these reactions to allow dopamine to stay in the brain for longer. Also, there is a medicine called levodopa that, once it reaches the brain, is transformed into dopamine. On the other hand there are certain synthetic drugs that were designed to mimic the action of the dopamine. These medications are very important, because without them people with Parkinson's disease would have much harder times dealing with their condition.