Hello! I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Although I have never ran into this disease before, now I know all about it. However, I don’t know anything about the Crohn’s disease which I was first misdiagnosed with. What is the difference between Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis? Thank you

Hi! It is true that these two inflammations have similar symptoms like abdominal pain, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, weight loss, and fever that may also occur. Both of the diseases may cause anemia due to persistent bleeding. Now, the difference is that ulcerative colitis causes inflammation and ulcers in the top layer of the lining of the large intestine and Crohn’s disease causes inflammation in the small intestine. However, Crohn’s can affect any part of the digestive tract, from the mouth to the anus. The inflammation extends deep into the lining of the affected organ.

I have Crohn's Disease. Crohns can be anywhere in the intestinal tract (from your mouth to your butt) and Ulcerative Colitis in usually only in the colon, almost never anywhere else. They are pretty much sister diseases, very hard to differentiate between the two.