Hello again. I have another question for you. It is also about my cats, but this time I’m not interested in prevention options, I am interested to know what causes digestion problems in cats or to be more concrete, what can cause Inflammatory Bowel Diseases in cats.

I know that IBDs consist of several different types, but I assume that every one of those types has the same cause. Am I right? Something that messes up their bowels and their digestion.

So, anyone? I would really appreciate your help here. What are the most common causes of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases in cats?

I don’t really know much about that, but I’ve heard about IBDs before.

I know that people can have this type of diseases too.

They’re chronic  diseases and they’re not to be joked with. They can be very serious and they can

never be cured. They can only be kept under control with medication.

I assume since this has to do with the digestive system that it’s somehow caused by the things that your cat eats. Is that possible?

I think that this is logical cause why else would the bowel get inflamed if not because of the food? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

You’re wrong. You know Inflammatory Bowel Diseases are autoimmune diseases. You probably heard of that type.;) These diseases are those nasty ones when the immune system is practically attacking its own body.

Scientists have not yet figured out why the immune system gets so messed up that he starts attacking , in this case, its own bowel.

They think that somehow, immune system recognizes good bacteria in digestive system as a treat, and it starts attacking them. That causes ulcers on the bowels. That’s where the name Ulcerative colitis (one of the most common IBDs) came from.

They can’t blame it on the food.

Hey there.

It can be caused by many factors. Actually, to be precise it can be caused by a combination of factors that include diet, gut bacteria, abnormal immune system response and even the environment.

If you suspect that your cat has IBD, you should visit the vet. He will do some tests by using blood sample. Those tests are amazing and they will give some information’s about your cats condition.

When my neighbor cat was diagnosed with IBD the main cause was food and the parasites in the food that she was eating.

I believe that this is common disease.

Hello. Maybe you think that this disease in not dangerous, but it is. IBD in cat is leading cause of chronic vomiting g and diarrhea. So it is not so “easy” disease, right? Actually, it is not a disease in itself but it is a disorder. Clinic signs of this disease may include – diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite, anorexia, increase of appetite, vomiting and weight loss. Once you notice those symptoms you need to take your cat to the vet and he will perform a physical examination of your cat. The cause of IBD will show the tests and after this he will give proper treatment to your cat.

Actually this disease can develop in two different ways. The inflammatory cells can enter the intestinal wall in response to some infection or maybe some injury.

Of course there is way to response on parasites, food intolerance, fungi, some bacteria and even a cancer.

Cats that are affected with this disease may have a defective intestinal wall barrier.

This allows bacteria to leak into the deeper layers of intestinal walls.

Usually that is just one cause of it.

I am not sure how this disease is common in cats but it is here.  All you can do is to find best way to treat it.

Unfortunately I know a lot about this disease.

Everything that Mia wrote is true. It is an autoimmune disease and it’s completely true that scientist are still trying to discover the precise thing that causes these diseases.

Lately, it’s become terrifying. So many young people in their 20s discover that they suffer from IBD’s.

And when it comes to animals, many pet owners don’t even discover it till their pets are in a really bad shape. So the answer to your quest is- there are no common causes of IBD that are familiar to us till this moment. Hopefully there will be soon.

I’ve read somewhere that some vets assume that maybe food is the main trigger for this disease in cats. And I think this makes sense. In that article they were talking about cat food, and how there are very few (if any) quality brands of cat food. All of them use poor quality meat and it’s no wonder that cats end up with chronically inflamed bowels. These are just their assumptions of course, but it makes sense to me… There’s also an option that this is genetically transmitted. Some cats might be more prone to this because of their genetic background.

Good day there.
Everything OK?
According to research very common cause of IBD in cats is an immune system that is hypersensitive. The immune system incorrectly reacts to some things that appears in the digestive tract of your pet.
It can be caused by bacteria, food, parasites and some toxins.
But it is still unknown whether some or all of these thing are causes of IBD in cats or it is just immune system.
Like others told you, the most common cause of frequent diarrhea or even vomiting in cat is IBD.
The diagnosis of IBD first requires that all other possible causes of this must be eliminated and the right one needs to be found.