I would like to know when someone is diagnosed with IBD, does it meant that he suffers from Crohn’s disease or Ulcerative colitis. If there are differences what are they? I‘ll appreciate any information about this. This is little confusing for me. I am not sure that the actually IBD is. Thanks.

In one way you are right, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) actually comprises two different although similar inflammatory diseases: Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis. First one, Crohn's disease, is a disease that affects any part of the gut and involves all the different layers of the bowel wall. And Ulcerative colitis is a disease that affects the large bowel (colon) primarily and its lesions involve only the surface of the bowel wall. Ulcerative "procto" colitis is different because: ulcerative hence superficial, superficial hence crypt abscesses and pseudopolyps, no skip lesions, starts at the rectum then involves the colon, rectal involvement hence dysentery is most common presentation, risk of cancer…..and Chron's disease is: deep, deep with lymphocytic infiltrate, skip lesions hence cobble stone appearance, most commonly found in the terminal ileum and can affect any area from mouth to anus.