I have Ulcerative Colits...taking Lomotil and Imodium, one Lomotil and up to 4 Imodium every day. Stools are firm now...but still going all the time about 4-6 movements every day. Is it ever going to stop????

Please do not ever use Imodium and LOMOTIL for colitis. THey can worsen your case in future. They will make your colon more weaker and one fine day suddenly you will have sever ulcerations. Please take colitis medicines such as MESACOL or ASACOL by talking to ur Doctor whoc is treating ur colitis.

I suffer from UC and AM taking the cocktail of melasamine ASA-5 type drugs that james recommends. They do next to nothing. I've not tried the Lomotil and am considering asking my doctor for a prescription. I sometimes have to use up to 4 immodium a day just to make the bus trip to work and manage through the day without soiling my tighty whities (not so white).

I am definitely concerned that dependence on ANY diarrhea "slowing-not stopping" medcine will cause longterm damage. My colorectal specialist did say that although the box of loperamide says 4 is the limit, that you can safely take up to 8. I hope to NEVER have to use that many.

Anyway, just venting. Ulcerative Colitis is a real pain in the rectum.

i have loose stools all the time, several times per day. it is impossible to eat at a restaurant as i cannot make it home w/o stopping for emergency "explosion".have tried lomotil, ammosium/ad, yadda, ya. also take 100mg percocet/day for long term back problems (degenerative/injuries/etc.) anybody out there found a cure for what has effectively stopped our social life-did i mention world class gas? always rating 8-10 on the olympic scale for sound, duration, tone...

I dont think you really know what your talking about unless your a real doctor, im sure there is no evidence to suggest weakening of the bowel or anything of the like. I take codiene for my colitis and have been for over a year now but only when I have flare up. It works wonders and all I can say is isnt it better to have some quality of life and take a minute risk than constant pain and suffering and live a long and unhappy life. you should take more care when prescribing advice. I would see you a professional and take there 6 - 8 years of uni under consideration first. Medications are there to help not hinder, imagine a time when there were no meds to help or pain relief, we should be grateful there is solutions to these debilitating problems.

I recommend aloe vera tablets. NOt liquid, but tablets. My gastroenterologist had experimented with it and had good results on many but not all patients. Back when I had ulcerative colitis, I took three tablets three times a day and my symptoms went away within a day. It is not a cure, but it coats the wall of your colon and calms it down. I had one good year on it after 40 years of having my life ruled by my large intestine.After that year, I developed rectal cancer not caused by the aloe vera. I no longer have a large intestine.

It took me years to finally figure it out for myself and then got it verified with a nurse practitioner that suffered from the same malady. Try a diet of ONLY, ONLY White bread, eggs, white pasta, milk and meat without additives like soy, etc, It is termed a low fiber diet. Look it up for a list.. It is HARD. NO VEGETABLES, FRUITS, GRAINS, NUTS. Hope this will help. There will still be slip-ups, and you have to give instructions every time you order in a restaurant. Ketchup and mustard seem to be somewhat tolerated.

This diet won't help if you are a pre diabetic or have diabetes type II.