Hi, my mother has an addiction problem. She used to take oxycodone for migraines. After a while she was so hooked up on it that she couldn't go through a day without the drug. After some therapy she was finally back to her old self again. Few days ago doctor prescribed her lomotil because of the severe dehidratation due to diarrhea. I have heard that lomotil can cause addiction. Is there some other meditation she can take instead of lomotil?

Hi, lomotil is a combination of diphenoxylate and atropine. It is used to treat diarrhea because it slows down the bowel movement. Diphenoxylate can act as a narcotic and can cause an addiction. Atropine has been added to prevent this from happening. If your mother takes lomotil in dosages higher than prescribed the atropine will cause unbearable effects that will prevent her from taking larger doses again. However because your mother has a history of drug addiction you should talk to her doctor and explain the situation. I am sure that he will recommend a substitution for lomotil that doesn't cause addiction.

Yes, its called Immodium.