I had to learn that varicoceles are an abnormal collection of dilated veins above the testicles. I was diagnosed with varicocele few months ago so I had to search more about it. What worries me what something I read in the newspaper. I have heard that men with varicoceles have a progressive injury to the cells in the testes that produce sperm and testosterone. Now I would like to know if there is really relationship between varicocele and testosterone.

That is truth and not just that varicocele repair and stops the testicular injury, but also can reverse cellular changes. Thus is improving both male fertility and increasing testosterone. Varicoceles are found in 50% of men presenting primary infertility and 69% of men with secondary infertility. The American Fertility Society describes Varicocele as the most correctable factor when treating poor semen quality. There have been many studies that show repairing a varicocele improves sperm quality. Also it can directly increases spontaneous and assisted pregnancy rates. Following varicocele repair, spontaneous pregnancy rate increases to 40% with 75% of men who had improved sperm parameters. Even men with azoospermia, which means there are zero sperm on semen analysis, repair of varicocele allowed for sperm production in 40-60%. Recently it was shown that varicocele repair may allow 31% of couple’s considedered candidates for IVF. They are able to be qualified for IUI, and 42% of couples needing to use IUI became capable of spontaneous pregnancy.