Varicocele embolization... should I go ahead with it?

ive been offered the procedure to sort out my varicocele which had been botherimg me off and on for months with a dull ache in the groin area.

currently it's not so bad so I am having a few second thoughts about undergoing the procedure - especially having read some of the scare stories on the internet about it causing more pain after the operation.

so, what I'd like to know is whether this is really a safe route to go down? I understand its very new, which worries me slightly as I don't know what to expect with the aftermath.

should I be concerned?

It's probably something best discussed with a urosurgeon and maybe get a second opinion from another surgeon. A few of the main things you should know is what to expect during post-operation recovery - how long it should take for you to recover, what activities you should avoid, what symptoms should be of concern, who to contact in case of an emergency, that sort of thing. Lastly, you should ask the surgeon, point-blank, how many varicocele embolisations he or she has done in the past year.

From what I gather of the literature on varicocele embolisation is that it is the least invasive of all procedures, but the results aren't as good as the a bona fide varicocelectomy. At any rate, I wish you good luck and hope all goes well.

I had varicocele embolization done last year and it worked for me. The swelling is now gone and more importantly I'm free from the horrible pain. It's an easy procedure. I don't regret it one bit. If you need any more information just message back.

Hi there, Thanks so much for the reply. I went ahead and had the procedure last week. So far so good - I'm pain free at the moment! I've read a lot of people say it can also boost your testosterone levels too. Have you found this to be true? Thanks

I never had my testosterone levels checked before or after so I can't really comment on that but it did boost my sperm count. Good luck sounds very promising so far

Thanks. One last question: the doc said there is a chance it could come back even after the procedure but didn't say if there was anything I could do to prevent this. We're you recommended anything by your surgeon?

Varicoceles can reoccur after surgery or embolization and my require further treatment but more than likely you will be fine. I was told I could go back to normal activity after a couple of weeks and I wasn't told anything specific I should or shouldn't do but before I had mine treated it was made a lot worse by straining when doing really intense workouts. I still exercise regularly I just built it up slowly.