Hi everyone,

I am a 16 year old male. A little over a year ago, i started to feel sharp pains in my kidney and abdomen, and dull aches in my testicles. I got tested for kidney stones but they could not detect anything. The kidney pain subsided in a few months but my testicles were still aching. The veins were bulging and my sack felt like "a bag of worms". I did research on the internet and it was obvious that i had a varicocele. The aching and veinyness started off the in the left testicle but spread to both in a few days. It was been over a year and i no longer feel any aching (maybe im used to it already) and the veinyness has decreased. Figuratively speaking, my sack still feels like a "bag of worms" but the worms have just gotten smaller.

What was strange to me was that after a few months with my varicocele, i began to feel sudden weak urination, ejaculation, and orgasms. The weak orgasms hit me first, when i realized that they did not feel nearly as good as they used to. Masturbation itself felt good but the orgasms were very weak. Sometimes, it would be so bad that i didnt even know that i ejaculated. They felt more like a released of pressure than an orgasm. I reckon this is probably from a decrease in testosterone caused by my varicocele, but im not sure because i have no decrease in sex drive (being a teen, i'm turned on almost all the time)

Shortly, i began to have a weak urine stream and dribbling after i peed. Everytime i urinate, it feels like i still have more urine left. This is when i noticed pressure in my prostate area. Whenever i push down on the area between my testicles and my anus, some urine would dribble out of my penis.

Could the cut off of blood flow in my testicular area caused by my varicocele have something to do with possible prostate englargement/problems?

Yes prostate problems can definitely be caused by a varicocele. What you describe is exactly the kind of problem that a high grade varicocele can produce. I'm not a doctor but I had a varicocele myself and went through a lot of the same problems you described. Since varicoceles are the leading cause of male infertility they should be removed as early as possible to prevent permanent damage to the testicles and epididymus. In varicoceles as the blood is unable to travel upwards through the spermatic vein due to faulty valves it flows backwards and pools in veins at the lowest point near the testicles causing the veins there to bulge - hence the "bag of worms" you can feel when you're standing up. When blood pools in the veins near the testicles it raises the temperature in this area which is highly sensitive to minute temperature changes and can damage the maturing sperm causing diminished motility - hence the infertilty. This blood has to drain somehow so it takes alternate routes through collateral veins, but these veins are also responsible for draining blood flowing from your prostate. As the pressure of the pooling blood exceeds that of the blood coming from your prostate it is able to flow backwards into the prostate itself. Since this blood has just passed through the testicles it is rich in a potent form of testosterone which can cause cells in the prostate to multiply at an accellerated rate causing it to grow in size and eventually cut off the flow of urine, because the urethra actually passes through the middle of the prostate as it carryies urine from the bladder out of the body. This is called benign prostatic hyperplasia - or BPH. It normally affects older men, but it sounds like what's happening to you. Most varicoceles occur on the left side, but you may have a bilateral varicocele which is effecting both your left and right spermatic veins which would result in more pronounced symptoms. Generally for men with high grade varicoceles it is recommended to get a varicocelectomy. The procedure is actually quite simple. It can be done surgically or through Interventional Radiology (IR). I recommend IR because it results in fewer possible complications and little or no recovery time. Most Urologists will want to do the procedure themselves using the traditional surgical method, but if you insist, most will eventually provide you with a referal to IR for the much less invasive procedure they use. That's what I got and all my symptoms went away after a month or two. Good luck. I hope this helps you. 

I have a left sided varicocele,im 50yrs of age,dont take meds because of horrific side effects,do pc excercises,eat a testosterone friendly diet,very fit but still no sex drive,i do believe my varicocele is the cause as my testosterone cant be circulated properly in my body due to malfunctioning valves leading to my bph &very low lobido & hardly any semen production when im able to ejaculate which is every 4weeks if im lucky,how do I convince my doctor to refer me to an inyterventional radiologist for treatment?

Hi I suffer from varicoceles which has lead to my bph as I have researched avidly on a daily basis for last few years & no doctor seems to listen & I am suffering from sexual disfunction as the free testosterone cannot be accessed by my body as it is shunted backwards to my prostate gland (hence enlarging it(its so simple to understand why do docs &endroconologists throw trt at you which only makes matter a hell of a lot worse??? a very angry man

Urologists are the specialist doctors who handle such problems. See a urologist.

I have a very similar issue. I'm planning to get surgery done sometime later this week. Its just all such a scary experience; my prostate is getting bigger, my balls feel like they shrunk, I feel the "bag of worms",my hair is falling out, bone density is decreasing, sex drive/erections/sperm are all gone. :/ I feel like committing suicide.
I don't know if everything will return to normal after the surgery, will it ?

if this condition is mild, prostate problems won't be caused. but if the Varicocele is severe, the prostate problems might be caused. therefore, Varicocele should be cured timely.the best treatment of Varicocele is survery.

I had varicoceles on both sides and I got the left side varicocele treated leaving right side as it is as it's kinda minor . After the surgery only the pain is that which is decreased but hardly any improvement in sex drive, I so miss the days when I was normal and used to get hard ons looking at a woman's ass. Varicocele has decreased my sexual play to a lot of degree.

excessive masturbation is the cause of varicoceles. why do doctors say they don't know the cause?

Thank you so much! I m 39 yrs old I too have bilateral varicocele and same symptoms, what can I do now some are saying surgery is risky so I m trying in natural way I. e.by doing inversion exercises.pls guide me.

Thank you v much ! same symptoms I too have what can I do pls guide me I m 39 yr old.

Hi I have the same issue please help

I have pain in both testicles a scan showed a left sides varocele but why do I have right sided pain? I also feel like I need to pee constantly with a slight tingle at the end of my penius. I get low abdominal pain also??? I have had loads of antibiotics, over active bladder tablets which have not helped one bit. Could the left sides varocele be causing all these problems which have been going on for over a year?

TQ for ur kind suggestions.

Hi,I too suffer from the same issue,now my question is even after varicoceletomy the blood has to drain in the same way because we permanently cut the testicular vein and the testicular blood has to travel through the collateral vein which leaks to prostate.