Four months ago my mother started acting strangely, it looked like she could not speak coherently, and we all became worried foe her. After several neurological tests, doctor said that it probably might be semantic dementia. I have never head for that condition before – what are the symptoms of that illness?

This is a specific dementia and the symptoms are neurological disorders related to speech, not being able to understand words, inability to recognize the objects and their meaning… Unfortunately, there is no cure at the moment for this illness. That means there are only meds that can somewhat help with the symptoms but that is it.

First of all I am so sorry to hear that your mother has been diagnosed with sentimental dementia. This will be very challenging for you and for your whole family. You will have to change your lifestyle and your mother will have to completely change the way she was living so far.

She will have to go to the therapist and to drink certain medications. Because of the possibility that she will forget them you will have to take responsibility for this as well.

There are some alternative therapies so you can try to talk to your doctor about this and they have showed some interesting results. I hope that you will manage to cope with new situation and don’t forget to take care about yourself as well.