Hi, I have had gynecological problems. I have missed several periods and after 3 months I went to see a doctor who told me that I have POCD – polycystic ovarian disease. Since my father has some heart problems, which might be hereditary, I would like to know I would like to know in what way POCD could affect heart.

As far as I know these two conditions are not directly related. Although, when we talk about heart conditions, we have to say thee are many factors that could cause those problems. This includes several hormones, estrogen being one of those. By taking a lot of estrogen, coagulation of blood increases and that might lead to creation of thrombin.

Hello there,

As the poster above me has already mentioned, these two conditions are not related. And polycystic ovarian syndrome is very common between women. When it comes to the causes of this syndrome, doctors are not sure about the exact cause but the excess insulin could be one of the reasons. Another cause of this condition could be hereditary, so if your mother or sister had polycystic ovarian syndrome it is great chance that you will have it as well.

Treatment for polycystic ovarian syndrome is prescribed medications. Your doctor will prescribe you medications which will regulate your menstrual cycle, and help you ovulate. In some cases surgery is necessary. I hope this will help you. Good luck.