My husband has been suffering from ALS for three years now, and unfortunately, his condition is getting worse day by day. He is 53 years old and it seems to me that he already gave up on himself, and it makes me desperate. He is starting to have respiratory problems, so my question is pneumonia with ALS, what are chances of survival?

I assume that you have been told in the beginning of the treatment that there is no hope for a cure and that your husband has only several years left. Eventually, as the condition advances, it reaches lungs and respiratory system, and after that, the end is near. I am really sorry to say this, but without a cure, any disease could be fatal.

Hello there emmy102,

I am very sorry to hear what you need to face in your life but somehow I believe that you have been preparing yourself for this. After your husband has been diagnosed with the ALS you have probably find out that there is no cure and that only minor complications can be treated and the condition itself can’t.

It would be best to talk with him if you can and try to figure out what is your next step.  Also the prognosis you will get from his doctor so you should ask him. And since you have been aware of the fact that there is no cure you should prepare yourself for the worst.

these answers suck just lost my boyfriend diagnosed with ALS three years ago out of nowhere he was having trouble breathing ,brought to hospital diagnosed with pneumonia had major heart attack was placed in med induced coma where his life ended