My wife was diagnosed with some heart condition and she was prescribed with Calan. I know that its generic name is Verapamil, but I know nothing about its side effects. What side effects may my wife developed from taking Calan? Is there any serious side effects? What should we do if any of those appear?

I am taking Verapamil, generic for Calan, so I think that I will be able to tell you more about things you asked. Your wife may develop allergic reaction like on any other medication. If she notices any difficulty breathing or swelling on her face take her to a nearest hospital. Some other side effects can be: unusually slow or fast heart beat, shortness of breath, fainting, abnormal behavioral or psychosis, swelling of the legs and ankles. If any of this occurs she must get fast medical care.