Hi there,

I need some tips, some advice or something. This one symptom of anxiety is killing me and I just can't stand it anymore. It's my shortness of breath, it started occurring really often. I actually started to seriously worry about my condition, during these periods when I'm short of breath, I think about me dying because of it.

It sometimes happens during my conversation with someone, and I am tired of all of them trying to help me when they can't do anything about it, plus it makes me feel extra uncomfortable. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this?

Hey Boss,

I'm having the exact same problem like you are. I started to freak out at some point so I just went to see my doctor, we did all sorts of tests, I think I did every single test that was there to do and everything showed that I am perfectly healthy (which means that it is all in my head, right?). So I am lost now, I'm still having shortness of breath and it doesn't seem like it's going to go away. I really hope that you will get an answer here for it is going to help me a lot as well.

Hi guys,

There are some things and some techniques out there that I think would be of use to you two. Before I tell you about this one technique, I'll tell you that you should drink one or two cups of strong, black coffee a day, it can help a lot as well.

This technique is called diaphragmatic breathing. You need to lie down on your back, put your hands on your abdomen and relax. You need to breathe in deeply through your nose, expanding your abdomen and then filling your lungs with air and hold your breath for a couple of seconds. You should breathe out real slowly then. (This should be repeat a couple of times and it should be done 2 or 3 times a day.)

Hey guys,

I could have sworn that I heard about that technique somewhere already, Deni. I'm not sure where, but I definitely did hear its name. However, I didn't know that it is useful for dealing with shortness of breath or what does this technique involves doing. I am going to give it a try for a couple of days and see if my condition gets any better.

I'm one of those people who don't drink coffee but if you say that it is going to help, I'm going to try and do that as well. If anyone else has anything else to add, please do, I will appreciate any kind of advice I can get.

Good day everyone.

Here is what you can do. You can simply go to walk. Walking, such as jogging - but jogging can be really hard for people who are dealing with some anxiety attacks, because it can get up your heart rates and your heart can bit a little bit faster so you body will struggle to breath normal as well. So, try to walk everyday, at least for a half an hour. I am sure that this is going to relax you a lot. 

It helps me when I am feeling down or when I am dealing with anxiety. 

Hi there.

Have you ever tried to practice your breathing skills? If you didn't, maybe you should do it now because it helps a lot. When you have some symptoms, such as dizziness, shortness of breath, a lump of throat, confusion, nausea, etc that can means that you are dealing with anxiety. In this case, people usually start to breath very fast, which is not that good. 

And that is why you should start with practicing breathing skills and in that case you should calm your breathing. 

I read up here that someone is recommending tea, which is a good advice. It helps a lot.

Hi there.

Sure you can do a lot about it, but you should consult your doctor to see what is the best cure.

For example, if your shortness of breath is caused by a physical illness, treatment should be based on that illness. Maybe you are dealing with asthma? Because it is well known that asthma is causing the symptoms, you may have a quick acting inhaler or other asthma medication. And this requires for immediate help.

Also, if shortness of breath has been caused by hyperventilating, purse your lips and breath as much as you can. This is similar to the action used to blow out a candle. 

Hi guys. Well I am dealing with shortness of breath even when I am not anxious. I am 43 years old and I don't count for how long I am dealing with anxiety...But I am sure that it has been more than 5 years. I am using medications for it for three years I think and it still happens to me that I am sitting in my chair or in my bed and I start getting those shortness of breath and sometimes it happens even when I don't have anxiety attacks. Because of this I start to panic a lot and it gets only worse. It scares me, but somehow I think that I found a way to deal with it. I don't know how even is smart to tell something like this because I haven't imagine a new world about this - but all you need to do is to calm down and start to think about some good things in your life. That is the cure!

Hi there guys. I gotta tell you that it is very important at the beginning to learn how to breathe. I know that a lot of people are not aware how to breath properly, even if they don't have problems with anxiety, like you could already read here. So, there are a lot of people who can help you to learn breathing techniques so it is not shame to ask someone to help you with this. So, you should ask someone to help you, especially if you have a lot of breathing troubles. You need to try to stay focused on your breathing and I am sure that everything is going to be OK. Good luck.

We are talking about dyspnea right? That is a problem that you have with shortness of breath, There are a couple of advice and a couple of reactions when you actually need to see your doctor. For example, you should really make an appointment with your doctor when you are having:

• Swelling in your feet and ankles
  • when you have a trouble breathing when you lie flat
  • High fever, chills and cough
  • Wheezing
  • Worsening of pre-existing shortness of breath.

Those are just some of the reason and remember - having anxiety is not something that you should play with. But having anxiety and shortness of breath can be a huge problem. 

There are some ways like Self-Monitoring, Medication, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, like ways to deal with Anxiety naturally.