30 year old male here. So this all started one saturday night when I was binge drinking. Drank around 15 beers and woke up the next morning throwing up. But thing is I didn't have anything in my stomach so it felt like I was throwing up acid. So I drink alot of fluids and try eating later. Around 10pm I began having some serious spasms to my stomach,  shortness of breath, arms start to become numb. I visit the ER and they said it's because of acid reflux that I use to have. They prescribe Lorezapam 1mg along with some other acid reducers. I feel fine for the next 5 days eating low fat meals and avoiding coffee and acidic things. I run out of the lorezapam and the next day I begin eating and within 15 mins I start having an attack. Shortness of breath and arms numb and feel nauseous. It's been 10 days since the incident and I've had chest x rays done, blood drawn, endoscopy performed, heart beat is fine, eating healthy and taking more vitamins and minerals. Yesterday I saw my doctor and he said ruled everything out and that it could be anxiety attacks brought out by the alcohol. I thought it was funny because I've never had anything like that in my life. And I exercise, I'm not overweight, and I eat right. At the moment the only thing that keeps me without these symptoms is anxiety pills like lorezapam. What's wrong with me? The doctor said it can't be alcohol withdrawals but what could it be? I must admit I was 4 days heavily that week leading up to Saturday. Is this some time of withdrawal happening? How long before it goes away? It's been 10 days and I've gotten slightly better. But I still have the spasms and anxiety attacks. Could it have been the alcohol? I was also recovering from a cold and I'm thinking it could also be some bacteria in my stomach. Any thoughts?

When your body breaks down alcohol it can cause a increase in adrenaline which can cause anxiety. If this is a new thing then you could have a sudden intolerance of alcohol which would cause shortness of breath also. I started getting all these symptoms you describe, plus others, only after 15 years of drinking on weekends. I can't drink any alcohol anymore or I am in a awful state for a week afterwards. Feel at deaths door and can't think straight, can't breath properly, or barely get out of bed. I don't know what triggered this reaction, but it happens every time I drink now.

Another thing I am looking into is anemia, this can cause shortness of breath and tiredness, and binge drinking can cause anemia. My advice is to stop drinking, it's the only thing that will cure you of this, and for me, this only gets worse the older you get, if you keep drinking you are in for a very rough ride. What upsets me is it's so hard to explain to people just how rotten you feel after drinking, these are not normal hangovers, they are far worse and make you feel like you are dying. It must be the body's way of letting us know it's not able for this lifestyle anymore, I am nearly 40 and you got to wake up one day and just say enough is enough, getting to old for this and want the rest of my life to be quality time, not suffering from this drink problem anymore.

If there are people out there suffering from drinking then knowing you are not alone and others have taken the steps to stop drinking can help a lot. There is life without drink, you just got to fight back and reclaim your life. When you do stop drinking you will be a new happier, better person soon enough.

Hey, do you feel also a chest pain after drinking alcohol? Because I believe that this condition is called alcoholic cardiomyopathy. It actually means that a long-term and very heavy drinking is weakling the heart muscle and it leads to this condition. There are so many symptoms of it, and some of those symptoms are shortness of breath and other breathing difficulties. Also, it can cause a fatigue, sometimes swollen legs and feet, and irregular heartbeat. This all can lead to heart failures and that is why you should never ignore any of those symptoms. You should consult someone about this. 

God u sumed up my life, I'm only 27 tho I hate it. I used to drink no problem but now the next is just pure hell. Every single time. Its like asthma attacks extreme anxiety and I stop breathing the at the beginning of my self and wake up suddenly

You shoulod be checked for sleep apnea ASAP

Im going through all those symptoms rightnow as we speak. Last winter i was in the ER also because of anxiety caused by drinking. I thought iwas suffocating to death seriously. This is also a form of alcohol withdrawal, if u drink u wi better for a while but then u will feel the anxiety again once u sober up. Its a non stop circle that alcoholics go through. Im seriously considering never having one more drink. Take care man and momentarily take some anxiety pills safely so u can recover.

The thing is benzos are only a short term solution, I would not recommend using benzos for anxiety and would suggest tapering off of them for good. Drinking is also something I would consider stopping because it just makes anxiety worse trust me. I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was in the 8th grade, I have developed anxiety and social anxiety as well within the last 3 years. Some days are worse that others and some days are better. However I have found a way to cope and control my anxiety and panic attacks at least to a certain extent. And although I am not 100 percent cured It has helped me out tremendously and I am starting to get ahold of myself.

I hope this helps somebody out there out because it is something I have wished I could change for nearly 10 years.

It is an excellent read and was very helpful to me :)

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am 42 female and I am having shortness of breath also after I drank, its been 3 days now and not getting better.this happned 4 months ago and it took 2 weeks to get better.I forgot about the first time 4 months ago .This is very scary I won't be doing that again .Pretty strange tho why are people all the sudden having this problem with extreme shortness of breath now?.

Symptoms are spot on for me as well. I drank heavily for a few days that week. Then had around 9 cocktails at a party one night. Next day I wasnt vomiting but felt really tired. By 6pm I was at dinner. Shortness of breath came out of no where, and it freaked me out. Numbness in my arms and side of neck started. I thought I was dying or having a heart attack. Had my friend call me an ambulance my heart rate was about 160bpm but my EKG came back normal. Took me up to the hospital and they gave me 1 ativan and 1 Librium. And pumped me with fluids.. I guess the numbness is from hyperventilation when you get freaked out by the shortness of breath. I have really cut down but when i have more that 5 beers the next day I feel like I'm going to die due to anxiety.

I too get this . I won't drink for weeks or sometimes months , and I will hang out with friends and do shots and beers and I feel great , and the next day when I wake up I feel fine , until I eat something , and my stomach blows up and I cant breathe ,shortness of breath and goes on and off for hours , and sometime days . But then its gone , I'm really sure what it could be , I wish someone new ?

My story is similar to all of these.. I was sick with stomach flu on Tuesday and after a few days, felt much better. I drank at least 12 beers on Saturday over the course of 12 hours. I wasn't hammered and didn't really have a hang over on Sunday, but was short of breath all day. I finally went to ER and had a chest x-ray, EKG, complete blood count, etc. Found nothing wrong except a little high blood pressure, which went down as I was in the hospital, but the shortness of breath did not go away immediately. The nurse practitioner believes it could be dehydration and depleted sodium/magnesium levels, so I began drinking water and getting some sodium. After a few days of dehydrating and not drinking, I am feeling better, however not 100%. I am otherwise healthy 34 YO Male who exercises regularly and have never felt this before. Not sure if this will help others, but I think it has begun to help me.

Having exactly the same problem...female 30..years of parties,weekend drinking..now even few beers or bottle of wine..and I can not breath days after and all what you describe just fits on me too.

The guest reply is spot on.

This is all very common. I have been going through this for awhile now. I never realized it was anxiety until I started to pay attention and every time I drank heavily or over 5-6 drinks then the next day my anxiety was terrible. Yes, it won't hit you full force until about 6-7pm the next day and thats because the alcohol is leaving your system fully probably. Either way, I just wanted to type this because I have read other stories and they help me. I am 29. I still drink and I have no clue why because the next day or two is hell. It's like a vicious cycle. Anyways, if anyone else is going through this it is more common than you think and don't waste your money on the ER. Been there, done that, all they do is give you an ativan or maybe not anything. Just know you will get through it.

Thanks u guys this really help