Guys, help me! I am feeling like I am going to die. I am diagnosed with anxiety and I know how to cope with it, but I can't cope with shortness of breath that happens very often to me lately. I am without my breath for a couple of seconds and I start to cry because I can't do a thing about this! Yes, I know that this is one more anxiety symptom, but it scares me. I have tried to learn those techniques of breathing, but it is not helping me.

What I should do next?

How to deal with shortness of breath as severe anxiety symptom?

Whenever you say that you have one of the severe symptoms of anxiety, that means that you should go and talk to a doctor. Shortness of breath can mean a lot of things and you should let your doctor set up a diagnose just so you know for sure that your problem is caused by anxiety.

You can search over the internet about breathing techniques which will help you fight with this shortness of breath or you can as well wait until you visit your doctor so that he would advise you what to do here (I'd check the internet if I were you).

Hi there! Thank you for your answer. So, I went to see a doctor about this issue like a million times. But so far I never had this breathing problem at all. I called him and he told me about this breathing techniques, but since this was not OK for me, I don't know what else he can tell me about this. Maybe someone can teach me this, because I was trying to teach them alone and of course, I didn't have any success with it. Maybe some medications can help me? Trust me, I really don't run away from medications and antidepressants, especially if I do know that they can help me.

Hello. Go to your doctor immediately. Don't wait anymore! Shortness of breath is caused by constant stress, so that must be the cause in your case as well. Find what bothers you, what makes you stressed and than tell this to your doctor. Therapist can help you in your fight, you are not alone. If you don't know how to breath properly, ask him to teach you. Talk to him about everything that bothers you. If you don't find the cause, this problem will return again and again. That is why it is very important o talk to someone who knows how to help you. I don't know why people are running away from this. 

Have you ever considered to start doing some healthy activities such as riding a bike? You are going on work with car or bus? It is time to change it. Ride a bike! It is healthy, it will definitely make you feel much better and you will forget about certain issues in your life. 

Reasonable activities where you don't push anything will help you. Riding a bike is just one of the options. There are a bunch of things that you can do, a bunch of activities that can actually help you feel much better and breath properly. You should think about this.

If you don't like being THAT active, maybe yoga or meditation are for you. 

I am going to write you down the names of a couple of breathing techniques which are used to calm symptoms of anxiety, panic and stress. I used diaphragmatic breathing when I was having my problems with anxiety but there are a few other techniques as well which are said to be useful although this diaphragmatic breathing technique is the only one that I have used and the only one that I needed. The others are called pranayama and alternate nostril breathing, these are the techniques that I have heard of and these three should work perfectly for your problems with anxiety and shortness of breath.

I am having the same problem as you are having Guest, although I figured out that it is just a symptom of my anxiety so I didn't really worry about it, I guess this might be why my shortness of breath isn't serious at all, it happens from time to time but I learned how to calm myself down when it happens. I just tell myself that this is a common symptom of anxiety, that I need to calm down in order for it to pass and I actually always manage to calm myself down this way. You should try it, it works for me.