Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm a seventeen-year-old female who's generally very healthy. However, about two months ago, I started feeling short of breath and my heart was beating really fast, and the  shortness of breath was so bad that I couldn't sleep that night. I went to the doctor the next day and she diagnosed me with bronchitis and gave me some antibiotics and an inhaler, due to my severe allergies. I have never ever had breathing problems before a couple months ago, not even when exercising. So I take the medicine, but it's not making me feel any better and neither are the inhalers. I'm having persistent shortness of breath; I still feel like I cannot breathe normally, difficulty taking deep breaths, and the feeling that I'm always not getting enough air. It got a little better about 2 weeks later and I thought I was getting better, but I'd still have times when I felt short of breath and dizzy. My parents and doctor both said it could be attributed to anxiety, since I get nervous quite easily and I'm worried frequently, but does anxiety cause chronic shortness of breath? I thought it would only come in attacks. But anyways, my parents decided to send me to the pyschologist to treat my anxiety but it hasn't helped yet. About one month after the symptoms started, I went to camp for 3 weeks to see if my symptoms would go away if I was in a care-free atmosphere and I wouldn't constantly worry about me being sick. Well, the camp was fun, and I did feel fine at some points, but then in others, especially out in the heat, I felt like I couldn't breathe. It's not dehydration or anything heat-related though, because I drank plenty of water, and when I'm indoors I still feel shortness of breath and extremely uncomfortable. At this time, other symptoms developed too. My stomach was tight and constantly bloated, and I felt more chest pressure. I'm not sure if those two are related, but i feel pressure right below my ribs. After coming home from camp, I stayed home and I gradually began to feel worse. Some times are okay, but I feel like I can never breathe normally and I also think about my breathing too much. The chest tightness continued and so did the stomach/thorax area tightness. I went to the pulmonologist and allergist, the allergist telling me I have slight asthma, but the medications I was on, singular, allegra, and inhalers did not really make me feel any better. The pulmonologist and my primary care pediatrician both said that there wasn't anything big wrong with me, and that they were just "growing pains." Is this constant shortness of breath just a growing pain? So then, I continued feeling worse so I went to a different doctor and she did an echocardigram on me and a chest x-ray, both came out clear. My parents also believe that there is nothing wrong with me, and that it is just my anxiety. They told me to go out and have fun, but I have tried those things and my symptoms are always present. In the past several days, I've been feeling worse. I began having more muscle tightness and muscle weakness and dizziness, like I was going to pass out. I'm going in for a blood test tomorrow to check if I could have any other problems, but I'm getting really worried. I really cannot live like this anymore, it's ruining my daily life. On top of that, I'm going to be a high school senior and I need to do college apps soon as well as enjoy my senior year, which I cannot with these symptoms. I desperately want to know what is wrong with me. I started feeling like my head was very heavy today and yesterday my family and I were going to watch fireworks, but I couldn't go because it was hard for me to breathe and I felt like I was going to pass out. Is nothing really wrong with me and it's all in my head? I really don't know, but this is really frightening. I don't have much of an appetite these days and I'm really worried I would have something outrageous like a degenerative muscle disorder(if nothing is wrong with my heart/lungs, could it be my diaphragm?) or a brain tumor. Are these possible? If I were to see any doctor, what kind would it be? My breathing does not get worse with exercise. Any help is greatly appreciated; I just don't know what to do anymore.

I have the same thing. Last year I had Bronchitis for about six weeks and at the end of it I was having a hard time breathing from my lower middrift. I had those same tests. I also have IBS. My ribs in my back snap out and my back twists. I got hit in the head a year and a half ago and they said I had POST CONCUSSION SYNDROME. . I have had all kinds of tests, MRI'S on head, stomach,  Colon oscopy, the tube down the throat. They see I have enlarged bile ducts. They sent me downtown to Henry Ford Hospital to do a more detailed test with the tube down the throat. They found nothing except IBS, Diversticulitis and I still don't know why I am having a hard time breathing from the lower middrift. They said I have Gastritis to which is Inflamation of the stomach.

I am going through what you are going through and still can't find the reason why. I am going back to the Dr. tomorrow to see if t here is another test we can do. Don't know what's going on

I am having the exact Same symptoms. Let me know if you find anything because I already lost my job and can't afford to lose what little work I still have.

Hey guys, I'm a 23 y/o male college athlete who is in great physical shape and just recently have had this terrible inability to take a deep breath. I do not smoke, but I have had asthma for 15 years and have had in under control for 10 years. I thought maybe my asthma had just gotten worse all of a sudden and my albuterol didnt help, I needed to get back on advair or another medication, so after going to a doctor and being prescribed advair and being on it for 3 days and seeing no improvement I went back to the doctor and told him I still can't catch my breath and I can't take a full deep breath. The Doctor then prescribed me Methylprednisolone (a short course of steroids for my lungs) I started taking the steroids Friday, by Saturday my breathing was still not improving and I went to the ER, after chest X-rays and blood tests, they didn't find anything wrong with me except the that my lungs looked *Hyperinflated*   they fed me some steroids and put me on a nebulizer and even after that I still couldn't take a deep breathe. The doctor prescribed me an acid reducer thinking that my asthma has been made worse by acid reflux. It is now Monday and has been a full week with this and I have had a constant lack of breath and I havent been able to sleep much, I'm almost done with my course of steroids and I'm not breathing better.

I go back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow up and I'm almost out of money and out of hope.

Could I be suffering from 

Allergic reaction?- I did clean and dust my room a day or so before the symptoms. Could a random food allergy be causing a constant breathing problem
Hiatal Hernia? -I did throw up 3 days before my symptoms, 
vocal cord dysfunction?- would it show up out of nowhere?
A spinal problem?- since I have been dealing with this i have had random sharp pain in my back
A thyroid problem?- my mother has a thyroid problem, I have had a little weight loss this last week but only because I dont want to eat when I can't breathe.
Asthma- My asthma treatment has not worked so far
Anxiety- school just ended I have a relaxing life, no reason for anxiety

Are their any other possibilities that could be causing my breathing problems?
I dont have a blood clot, my heart is relatively healthy.
Any advice or ideas would be great.

ive been experiencing similar symptoms where i have breathing problems 24/7 and knowone knows how to fix it its not painful but it makes me exausted where i dont want to do normal activity. I got checked for EVERYTHING and it was all clear except for acid reflux and dust mite allergy im not sure if that can cause these symptoms noone has reallyexplained anything i thought i was the only one to be feeling this way. THey also thought it was anxiety but my problem causes me the anxiety not the other way around. Im soon going to camp for 4 weeks and i really dont want to im scared the problem is going to be horrible. And its so physically active there im going to get sooooo out of breath and have a horrible time. Ive been like this for 10 months now and nothings gotten better it might have even gotton worse it is horrible, and no one understands, some people think its ust in my head. I get nervous so easily to but that just might be anxiety. but the breathing isnt.

I'm assuming you've been tested for asthma, which doesn't always manifest itself with wheezing or worsening with exercise. The only symptom can be labored breathing, heart palpitations. Both of these symptoms will make you very anxious.! If it's allergy related, lung function may be normal at doc's office but symptoms can return in environment with offending allergen.

Acid reflux is notorious for causing asthma-like symptoms. LPR is when reflux goes into throat too ---- an Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor can verify and treat.

Maybe a sniff ( from a pulmonary doctor )test would help to check out your diaphram.

I know this post was a year ago. But i am experiencing the same thing now.  Any ideas about what is causing the shortness of breath?

im a athletic 22 yr male. this last month actually month and a half i have been having trouble feeling like have not been able to breath properly. like im not getting enouhg o2 in the lungs. at first it was a sore throat, so they thought i had strep throat, then my chest then breathing, i took three antibiotics not including acid reflex pills. then i was prescribed two inhalers that felt like they did not work. now i just got out of the dr. from a pulmonary specialist. they prescribed me another inhaler with some breathing tube it gets attached to seems like its not doing its thing, also a nasal inhaler thing.  but my chest pains and breathing become difficult at random times. i dont know if these sympthoms have anything in common.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have had the same symptoms for the last 3.5 years, life is quite difficult this way. Besides that I have more severe pains while asleep and more toward the morning time a simple inhale turns into a big pain in the viscera. Do your own research and you will come up with lots of illuminations. in my case it is a mild scoliosis and a severe lordosis plus rotated pelvis. pay attention to your knees if they are painful or valgus or inverted or overextended and in the upper body see if you have neck pain or maybe thorasic pain, if these pains also present then it is scoliosis or something like my case. the only treatment is doing daily proper exercise and hatha yoga breathing technics .

About a year ago i had an anxiety attack related to caffeine. I was a heavy weights trainer, and unknowingly the toxicity of caffeine doubled up. I quit caffeine and went on a healthy nutritive diet. The anxiety symptoms were severe including high bp, breathing troubles, rapid heart beat etc. The cardiologists gave me some betablockers and calmed me down. Pls dont take betablockers without a doc prescription. Gradually over six months i started taking bcomplex and fish oil with omega 3 and my symptoms improved. For the past few days i am feeling a mild shortness of breath. This is relieved with exercise.
Anxiety causes shortness of breath, you become hyperaware of your bodily functioning, then you tend to fumble with your breath and this creates a vicious cycle of more anxiety.

Maybe try the puff test to see how your diaphragm is working.

Maybe you should try a puff test to see if your diaphragm is working.

Well, it seems i am not alone. I am a 41 year old male. I have done a fair amount of sport all of my life and up until around 8 months ago, i counted myself as very healthy. I have never had any breathing difficulties before. Although I often work hard, I am fortunate in that I do not get stressed and indeed am well-known for my sanguine nature.

Back in the spring I caught a head cold which went on to my chest and severely affected my breathing, leading to a trip to the GP, a nebuliser and an immediate appointment with a consultant. I thought it was just some bug that would get cleared up but i am now months on with no concrete idea what is causing the problem and, it seems, no obvious prospect of getting it fixed.

Looking at the internet I seem to have had pretty much everything checked and prescribed, including an X-Ray, CT Scan, allergy tests, inhalers (ventolin and symbicort), two different types of antibiotics (one taken for six weeks) and omeprazole. When I was on the long course of antibiotics things seemed to be improving a little but not substantially and since I stopped taking them my symptoms are again bad with lung capacity at about half what it should be and severe problems breathing. So i am now back on ... inhalers, antibiotics and omeprazole... but it seems to me that it is unlikely that this will work, having tried the same cocktail now four times already.

It is becoming very tedious

Any and all ideas (ideally a panacea) gratefully received.