I’m interested which one drug is stronger, methadone or methadose? Do they both cause addiction? Which one is more often used in treatment of sever pain? I was on methadone but had very disturbing side effects. Please post.

Well, methadone and methadose is just the same drug. Methadose is brand name for methadone, like dolophine is too. So, side effects that you experienced with methadone would be the same with methadose. You should try with non narcotic pain killers. Metrhadone is potent narcotic and causes addiction. If you can avoid it, it would be better for you.

I was replying to a thread and had to join and lost which thread it was. I am sorry if this seems a little off track.

It IS related to this topic though.

From talking with my favorite pharmacy they informed me that even though a drug may be around from several companies producing generic versions and of course the same level of drug prescribed in each pill, liquid, etc. the delivery system can have a dramatic effect on a per patient level. The Binders one companies uses may cause reactions for some people, the delivery rate may be even slightly off for others and the metabolism of each person has something to do with it all, and the changes on how a pill is made like the binders used to hold it all together, things to make it easy on the stomach, etc. all have slight effects. Not usually noticable for most people but people who's body's have adapted due to long term usage can often tell the differences without having to be told the pills are different in tests.

I am trying to say that even though the actual drug involved may be the same there can be differences you can notice and feel and when you are used to something switching manufacturers CAN make a difference. The pharmacy telling me they often wait for the generic form of a drug just going generic until they can get one as closely matching the original in binders and other things I didn't qiute follow so that their customers experience the least amount of discomfort, etc. I was mostly asking about Oxycontin and Purdue has Watson make it. When it was OK'd for them to make their own generic version (after there were a few others already out there) they basically had a different imprint put on the pills and they are otherwise the same as the originals. Wow! I am very happy the Pharmacy I frequent not only does what every pharmacist is supposed to do by keeping up on all this stuff but the one I have been using for many years will take the time to explain it to you as well. There are a bunch of them and every one of them there will pass on the info, give you places to look up more info, and even match prices when my insurance won't cover the amount I need to take each month.

As to Methadone vs Methadose: that same pharmacy said they weren't large suppliers of either but have seen a recent increase in prescriptions and mentioned they recalled that when one of them came out the deliver seemed a little faster at first making it work a little quicker for most people, which made it SEEM stronger (depending on metabolisms, etc) but other than that the drug was the same. Both also had a slow "decay rate" making you gradually taper off usage without to much trouble if that was your goal.

I have friends who think the dones are weaker because they wear off quicker and others who think the dones are stronger and are the originals.

As for my opinion, based on input from both friends (some who go to a clinic daily and others weekly) and the pharmacy, I would say this- they are the same on paper but the dones dump their load a little faster for most and the methadose ones seem to last longer because they take a little longer in the delivery due to the different binders, etc. otherwise, it all depends on the person, their metabolism, health, etc. (remember, a lot of things can have an effect on how well a drug works. I remember as a kid smoking pot taking 1000mg of vitamin C about 30 minutes before smoking can really make it a lot stronger! You need fuel for the fire and if your body is out...? Stay healthy, improve what it takes for those receptors to do their thing and see how well your pills work then!). I am not trying to get help you abuse anything and if you're reading this forum you stay on top of things and don't need me or anyone else preaching at you about abusing drugs. I apologize now if anything I said seemed to have "attitude". I have 2 sons, 26 and 21 I am working hard on educating. I am very pleased neither is big on drinking. But one had a horrible back injury, ruptured 1 and herniated 4 discs, got hooked on morphine and now can't hold a job (doesn't seem to WANT to work) and I find all sorts of opiates (morphine, methadone, oxycontin now and then, and now "zanny bars"? My pharmacy tells me they're like valium but a whole lot more. It's a daily heart ache. We know all the places that offer help but he has to want it or it just doesn't work. After Thousands of dollars it's now up to him. I just can't do it anymore. Tough love is at the end of this month when he's on his own and out the door again. 21 and we're enabling him. I thought we were keeping him from worse instead of making it to easy on him. I would hate to think he's breaking the law to survive because we kicked him out. But he won't get off his <bleep> and actually get a job unless he has to we're told. OK, here goes.

Thanks for your time, (long post)

Chuck

Chuck,
my son is 33 and still screwing up; you can lead 'em to water but.......
On the dose/done differences, I have used both for years and can tell the difference. They both kill pain but the done makes me sleepier and the dose makes me bouncier, which I prefer.
Chemically diagrammed slightly differently, they are not true generics. I found the diagrams on some site I do'nt recall about 5 years ago. I'm sure everyone could find them as I'm barely literate on this thing. Check it out! They are not exactly the same.
Peace

Thank you for your post. I have looked a little deeper at the material available and agree, there are definite differences though mainly related to the delivery system or how the drug is absorbed (rate, etc). There are to this day new companies just starting to make and sell their versions. It's amazing how much information is available on the internet.

On A&E recently they had several shows about opiates and the drugs derived from them (as well as other shows on MDMA or Extasy). Heroin, Morphine, Cocaine, etc were all legal until just after the turn of the Century (it was 1902 or 1904?) when the government got involved. There were about 200,000-400,000 people addicted to opiates at the time and many on "maintenance" doses. The traveling merchants with "snake oil" cures were known to have heroin and/or other drugs, legal at the time, in the cures. We all know Coca-Cola had cocaine in Coke before the Government past the laws about the use of it. Once the government got involved in opiates and made the requirement that it had to be for medicinal purposes and be PROVEN to work for something you couldn't say it helped or sell it as a cure way back then. People may not realize how far back these laws go. They weren't consumer laws like people think today. It was interesting to read how Uncle Sam decided to make you a criminal because of money! They started out making it a TAXABLE product! When to much was sold under the table avoiding the tax they took new steps to get their share, etc. We had drug prohibition because of the drug tax problems. Read your history! Law Students would have a much more detailed look at the problem. The internet (and the A&E shows on the subject) can start you off.

Once they made it a crime to take a drug they found that a very large number of the people addicted were the actual doctors perscribing it. That's when they added the clause to the law that it had to be for treatment of some ailment and not just for maintenance. They didn't think someone taking it on a regular basis had any real need and labeled them all criminals.

If you have a cable company that has "On Demand" the A&E shows on this topic will be available in some areas now, others eventually. Watch them, they will interest most people that read these threads I would imagine.

Chuck

raymondbauhaus, you really need to take your opinion elsewhere. I had a brother that died from the withdrawl sypmtoms and other complications because he was afraid to reach out for help. You are a rude person. You are the reason why people are afraid to open up and ask for help. I find it both interesting and although not suprised that the people that you ridicule "so called addicts" can actually admit when their wrong and accept what they are while trying to recover and someone such as yourself can't admit what they are, I don't think I have to tell you what you are. You already know and so does everyone else. To everyone else, please pay no attention to that ignorant person. Please, don't let someone like that stop you from asking questions and seek the help that you need.

Hey Chuck,

I just read your post here, and although you sound pretty educated on the topics your speaking in reference to and I totally agree with you on alot of points if not all...

There was one thing that I wanted to correct you on, not to be a jerk or even a know it all, Just because if I were me I know that I would want to know the truth.

In reference to the OLD Generic Oxycontin Tablets imprinted with an "ABG" on one side instead of an OC with the normal 80 on the other side. These *((WATSON))* Generics Were untill they stopped making them back in April of 07 when the Patent Dispute was Finalized and All generics were done away with Untill recently I hear that there is a new generic that has came out but haven't tried or even seen em yet. Anyways before I get off the point I am trying to make. These Were BY FAR the best Generics and rightly so TRUELY THEY WERE NOT GENERICS. YOU Mentioned that they were manufactured by WATSON For Purdue & Were as close to the same as could get. IM SAYING THE TRUTH IS THERE WERE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL BETWEEN THEM AND NAME BRAND EXCEPT THE IMPRINT ON THE ONE SIDE OF THE TABLET.

These were actually NOT Manufactured by WATSON, It was PURDUE's way of GRABBING A SHARE of the Generic Market when it was finally Opened up for other companies to issue generics. If Purdue would have kept simply making the BRAND and letting the other companies manufacture generics and market them More Pharmacies would be dispensing Generics and PURDUE would loose alot of Market Share. SO WHAT THEY DID __WAS__ Continue Full Production of their NORMAL BRAND NAME EVERYDAY OXYCONTIN TABLETS rather than cutting production due to more Generics from other Companies flooding the market all of a sudden, AND THEY STAMPED HALF OF THEM ""ABG"" AND HALF OF THEM ""OC"" The one's stamped ""OC"" They continued to Market and Sell as NAME BRAND TABLETS, THE ONES STAMPED ""ABG"" They cut WATSON in for a small share of the Profits and got WATSON to DISTRIBUTE THEM FOR THEM UNDER THE WATSON NAME. BUT DONT BE FOOLED THEY ALLWAYS WERE THE SAME EXACT PILL JUST DIFFERENT IMPRINT AND DIFFERENT BOTTLE.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, which myself I would be skeptic too hearing something of this nature for the first time with no PROOF. I Will Email you a Picture of a Bottle I still have laying around One from when the Pharmacy instead of putting my Pills into a regular Prescription Bottle, They instead just slapped a LABEL onto one of the Regular Manufacture's Bottles and gave to me like that since my script was for 100 even... IT IS CLEARLY A WATSON BOTTLE BUT THE BOTTLE CLEARLY STATES RIGHT ON THE SIDE and I am quoting exactly

"Mfd. for: Watson Laboratories, Inc.
Corona, CA 92880 USA

Mfd. by: Purdue Pharmaceuticals L.P.
Wilson, NC 27893"

it then goes to list the exact same Patent Numbers that are listed on a NAME BRAND PURDUE Pharma OXYCONTIN BOTTLE.

These were simply MFG'd by PURDUE to be Distributed By & Under WATSON Name so that they could grab up a Share of the Generic Market.

Let me know if you want a Picture of that Bottle. I will be happy to send to you. Also let me know what you think of this. I was really suprised, I had never heard of a Pharm. Company Doing anything like that before in my life. I WAS GLAD THOUGH. Because at a time (before the patent dispute was finalized in April of 07) when the Name Brand was over $850 for a prescription of 90 tablets I could get the WATSON so called "GENERICS" which were still the exact same tablets just with an "ABG" on them for under $240 for a prescription of 90 tablets. AWESOME since I had no insurance to cover them at the time. Now I get the Name Brand and my Ins covers them with a $0 Copay. Awesome Squared...

Take it easy man, it would be cool to hear back from ya.

Scott Richardson

rawcussrocker wrote:

Chuck,

Peace

I have to agree. I thought I was the only one who noticed the difference in drugs. I have found that the BRAND name drugs, especially Valium, Soma, and Vicodin, as well as Percodan, Percocet, and many other opiate type drugs, vary GREATLY on the potency of their generic counterparts.

Granted, they are still helpful in relieving the syptoms that I suffer from ( I have Non Hodgkins Lymhoma, 'Don't cry for me, Argentina'), and I have a homemade cupboard of wood, decorated, that I have attached to my bedroom wall, with 2 locks, as it contains over 25 drugs, with over 60% of them potent opiate narcotics, and benzodiazapines (Valium, Librium, Dalmane, Xanax, etc).
It may help to know that Mallinkrodt, the manufacturer of Methadose, which IS/was a BRAND name drug, is now making what is simply referried to as "Methadone", is much smaller, rectangular, with an "M", and I find it just as helpful, if not more so. Roxane, the other leading manufactur, I do not like at all. Methadone is much like Codeine. It comes in generic form essentially. Dolophine was the first brand name for it, but it is no longer available. I would ask for the Mallinkrodt brand. It is still considered generic, so you won't be billed for a brand name drug, but I've learned different man. make different drugs. Like Mylan for Valium (Diazapam), and I ALWAYS get BRAND NAME Vicodin, Vicoprofen, Ativan, Soma, and Xanax. The generics don't do "poop". There IS a difference. Don't let ANY doc or phamo tell you different. Generics are cheaper, because their products are less quaility. That simple. OK, I'm getting of my soap box now, and popping some 'dones, and a few Vals while I'm at it. Cheers!

Katherine~

reinard wrote:

Addiction?? pfft lets say u take a non narcotic pain reliever and it works. Would one not be dependent on it just as they would the narcotic?? Yes they would

I just wanted to ask a question. the folks on here are talking about larrrrge doses of methadone. i only take 10 to 15 mg a day. i also take 40 mg of lortab. I am a patient at a pain clinic and am monitored monthly with pill counts and drug tests. not only monthly but they can just randomly call me in as well. i have a disorder i was born with that the bones in my spine are basically deteriorating and i have major sciatic nerve pain due to the nerve bein caught between 3 herniated discs and in the hip joint. so i dont get complete pain releif but its not searing only throbbing pain. i function quite normally. i work everyday and hard work at that. i own my own house keeping company. i do notice if im not hurting as bad or feel i can deal without the med i do have withdrawls and feel really tired and cold sweats. im only 38 so im scared that with the whole getting immuned and needing the doses upped with time...where am i to go besides way more of what i take? Is there anything else that could help with the pain that i have? I have been on lyrica, muscle relaxants and some other meds but so far the opiates have been the only thing that helped im just afraid of being so young my condition of course worsening where do i go from here? any help would be appreciated.

after programs stopped using lilly biscuits and went to methadose or Lilly's patient expired, no methadone or methadose whatever u want to call it has ever been the same whether it was a liquid white pill or even the same old orange pill. lilly was the original which was stronger and lasted longer same goes for the liquid they used in the va hospitals, purple liquid, nowadays it is all a substitute and garbage!