does anyone know the difference between two?

they r the same roxi is just a brand name.

I have been taking Percocet for awhile now, but when I switched pharmacy's they gave me Roxicet. I called and asked about it because it didn't seem to help my pain as much, but they said it was the same just a different name brand. If it is the same, how come I can feel a difference?

I stumbled across this thread while searching on Roxicet. My mother was switched from Percocet to Roxicet and she found that it was not relieving her pain. Everybody says it is the same thing but it is not working the same. Unless there is some placebo effect going on, the Roxicet formula is somehow different.

Guest wrote:

I feel the same way. It doesnt work the same and I usually get relief after about 10 or 15 minutes and the roxicet is not cutting it. Im used to the Oxycodone and that is what has been working for me in the past

yes there is a difference between the 2. No generic and brand are never the same no matter who tells you that.

The company the makes the generic, for ex, roxicet, does not know exactly how the percocet was made.
Just missing one step in the process will alter the generic med.
My father is a physician and I am an RN.
For ex., One of my dad's pt's was hospitalized as her generic medication did not contain the amt of hormone it was suppose to.

Some generics are ok, but some will just not be as effective and/or affect you differently, can make you more dizzy or whatever.

I hope that helps.

I was told that percocet contains tylenol as well and that roxicet does not contain tylenol...this would explain less pain remedy with the roxicet...

This is a response to peace 40

Thank you, I have been asking about generic prescriptions for years now and my doctors/pharmacists always tells me they are the same and I try to explain to them that they don't feel the same and that they don't help as much. It is finally good to hear the truth, the problem is the drug companies and our insurance cost so much for non-generic that I can only afford to get the genderic. I was in a car accident and was prescribed the 5 mg percocet for the 1st couple months I paid the money and got the percocet, after a while it was costing too much and the difference between the percocet and the oxycodone was huge, I think almost $40 - $50. I just don't understand how the drug companies and our insurance can get away with it, they should be doing everything possible to help us get better. I know all this is out of your hands and completely changing topics but it drives me crazy. I also believe this is how people get addicted to these pain pills, in the beginning when I was getting the percocet I took exactly what was supposed to 1 of them 2 to 3 times a day as I needed them, when I went to the oxycodone I felt like I had to take 2 at once to help with the pain and before I knew it they had taken over. I was completely addicted, I have been clean now for 2 years, I am not putting all the blame on the drugs because I knew what I was doing by taking more than I was supposed to but the pain was tough. I know that I completely switched topics, but what I have learned today finally makes me feel better about all that had happened to me. I had my doctor and pharmacist both telling me it is all in my head. Thank you for clearing this up, you are the first person to ever say there is an actual difference.

Thanks for your help :-D

Ok folks, especially the RN with a physician father; for 99% of ALL drugs, the generic is the exact same thing as the proprietary no matter what you think and no matter what someone tells you. The ONLY generics that aren't as effective are generics made by unethical companies that make them improperly ( which hardly exist anymore since FDA crackdowns) or certain, complex drugs such as cardiac glycosides. Also, ANYTHING that ends in CET has ACETAMINOPHEN in it which is the generic for tylenol which also is pretty useless when it comes to pain relief but is a decent fever reducer. Unfortunately, the c**p tears your liver up and manufacturers continue to put it in with narcotics. The FDA has recently come up with a statement that they are going to require manufacturers of narcotics to stop putting it in. If anyone is not getting the same pain relief with 10 mg oxycodone/325 APAP as with 10 mg Percocet, either they have built up a tolerance, which happens quickly, or it's purely psychological. Oxycodone and hydrocodone are very easy to manufacture and to do so cheaply. As a matter of fact, ALL narcotics are simple to produce and are dirt cheap.
It's entirely possible that the generics the pharmacies are dispensing do not contain the same amount of oxycodone as the Percocet did as they come in 3 different strengths.
To say that a company making a generic oxycodone/APAP product doesn't know how Percocet is made is just silly. They take the same 2 drugs and put them into a pill. There's no mysterious "step" to miss. Does anyone out there believe that the manufacturer of Percocet makes a special type of oxycodone? Of course they don't and it's entirely possible they buy their oxycodone from the same source the generic companies do.
I'm happy there are so many generics out there. I'm a Doctor and am happy to write prescriptions for generic antibiotics and other medications that Kroger and Wal-Mart sell for $4.
Insurance companies ARE trying to help us not get ripped off by refusing to cover a brand name when there is a perfectly good generic available.

This is my experience with roxicet vs percocet. If I take 5mg of percocet, all pain is relieved and I feel heavily sedated. I was recently swtiched to Roxicet, and throughout the day I have taken three 5mg roxicet oxycodone pills. After 15 supposed mg of oxcodone, I do not feel relief from my pain and I feel just slightly light-headed. Point being, if I took three percocet I would be frankly incapacitated. Roxicet just doesn't cut it.

I bet if you put the Roxicet and Percocet in the same bottle , then when you needed one close your eyes and take one without knowing which one you are taking...you wouldn't know the difference! Its psychological, they are the exact same medication just different shape n color!!!

I find all the posts very interesting. I am a Doctor of Pharmacy that has been licensed with almost a decade of experience and 3 different state licenses. Hince, what I write is the facts:

Roxicet and Percocet are BOTH brand-name drugs (by different manufacturers). They BOTH contain Oxycodone and Acetaminophen.

Now, Roxicodone does NOT contain Acetaminophen (Tylenol), nor does OxyIR. These drugs can NOT be substituted for one another. Ie- Roxicet cannot be dispensed in place of Roxicodone.

As far as differences in manufacturers, there is a guideline that the generic manufacturer must "live up to". These drug companies MUST show that their drug has the same solubility, pharmacokinetics, time to peak, ect. The ONLY THING the generic drug manufacturer does not have to research for their drug to be approved and marketed is the medication's INDICATION. The Indication is the medication's use. The generic drug has to show that it is the same and works the same. A LOT of $$$ goes into researching new medications so that is why the Brand-name drug company charges more and get a paten for so many years.

The RN, who has a MD father, is only correct in some of content of his/her post. Hormones, such as thyroid medications, and even blood thinners, such as Coumadin/Warfarin, should not be switched back and forth between Brand and Generic. If a decision is made to switch for these types of medications the Physician should be doing blood work and watching for the need to increase or decrease the dose.

Most of the time we find that the patient's inability to "take Generic medications" is Psychological. These patients have not been properly explained the process a medication must go through to be approved to be made a generic. This is not the fault of the patient's. They have be made to believe that generic medications are a cheap alternative to their brand counterparts. Again, the cost is due to the difference in the money for the research. Remember the brand-name drug's manufacturer must get the medication's Indication approved, unlike the generic counterparts.

Please feel free to go in to your Pharmacist and ask them these questions! A good one is one who will listen and try to understand how you are feeling and WHY!!! Remember the manufacturers must show their drugs are equivalent in EVERY manner...but they do not LOOK ALIKE! So, remember these medications will have difference excipients holding them together sometimes. Now, this is a realistic reason for not being "able" to use the generic. For example, if the medication has a dye in which the patient is allergic.

When in doubt--- call your Pharmacist!

*** I was also disappointed to read your post, RN! As a nurse, you should know when to do research and when to let your patient know where they can go for correct information. Your post lead me to believe that Generic medications are not "as good". I buy generic medications for my own family, yet don't buy my kids store-brand OREOS.... Make contact with your PharmD in the hospital and get some resources or try on-line. I truely feel you meant to be of help but unfortunately, not everything was correct.

Dr. Ortega, PharmD

My experience is that Roxicet has a different effect on me than Percocet, I get the pain relief but less of the neasea...?
I think that since everyone is different, the drugs can work differently on each individual..... Is that not why there are all kinds of different types of Narcotics for the treatment of pain? What might work for me, may not work for you. I think that maybe the way your body processes, absorbs, etc. is what is the difference, not so much the drugs (accept maybe what and how they bind the drugs which goes back to my saying, how your body responds and absorbs it). Its like two people that have the exact same diet, do the exact same exersise, yet one is thinner than the other..... we are all different, thats my take.

However....I do believe that there are companies out there that can get away with such behavior as having less amounts of medicne (like my estrogen, took generic .1 mg and read the fine print which said it has .57 not .1, but since it was over 50% was acceptable). Needless to say I will not do generic hormones, but I do every other medication including oxycodone and percocet/roxicet. I do notice a slight difference in how I feel, but they work just the same on my pain.

you guys are just crack heads. percocet and roxis are the same except percs have more tylenol... 500-650 mg which will destroy your liver but not relieve any pain. I actually asked my dox to switch me to roxis so i could take more to feel better, without killing myself. 3percs and 3 roxis both have 15mg of oxycodone, so dont freak out your still getting your fix, your liver will just make it longer... unless of course your drinking alcohol in that case see you in the afterlife

Percocet and Roxicet Is basically the same thing. "roxys" just come in higher doeses. Such as 15mg and 30mg. Percocet goes as high as 10mg. With Roxicet you are getting a pure percocet with no Tylenol in it.