Hi, here is one worried parent. My daughter has problems with adhd. At first we thought that everything will past without medications but, normally, it cant. She was on Ritalin for couple of months but she suffers from serious moods swings and lately headaches. We have reported that to the doctor and he has suggested Concerta. What do you think? Any experience with those medications?

Yes I had the similar case in my family. Ritalin can be little hard and cause headaches. Concerta is different. I think that she is weaker but there are two things you should know about it. First one is that she should avoid taking it on an empty stomach, and the second one is that Concerta, if you take her in longer terms, can cause depression because it builds up in system.

Hi there, ive had alot of experience with both, and noticed a substantial loss of therapeutic effect when i switched from concerta, but in saying that, the "come down" effects ie mood swings,grumpiness etc were substantially lessened

Had bad mood swings while on Ritalin. Anger would come on fast for little reason. Switching to Concerta stopped the mood swings. The only issue has been that it bothers my tongue a little. It is more expensive as they do not have a generic version but it works well.

I have been taking Concerta 27mg, and ritalin as well on weekends etc. I am about to switch to 20mg of Adderall xr tomorrow. I feel I have a lot of knowledge because I was a high ranking athlete and very in tune with my body. My mother is a psychologis and my cousin is a doctor-they have given me a lot of info.

To the person thinking about ritalin- beware! Ritalin is what I consider a cheap alternative. It is a quick release product that has you up and down. Here is the main deal breaker- it is available in a generic form. I can tell you from personal experience, the generic stuff is garbage. Generic drugs are not "the same." They are made in place like China and India, missing ingredients, and are processed in dirty facilities.

Ask for the real thing!

i am actually on concerta rite now :idea: it is kinda hard to compare but is alot more weak so in POINT she will prolly have to take a higher mg. and i am being took off it because i have recently formed this lump in my back sence taking them :cry:

Depression was a bad thing i like turned EMO i hated life and people i told my doctor and he gave me concerta i love life now im just plain old me. :-D

That's bull sh*t. Even generics are FDA approved and you can't just miss an ingredient or process them in dirty facilities. Or you are just one of those idiots who think, things made in India or China are of poor quality and American made things are always good quality!! At least India or China never had staph infected peanuts from SO CALLED one of the largest American industry. Go improve your knowledge before imparting false thoughts here.

I agree. I thought the comment about generic meds being of lower quality was ignorant. I think a basic chemistry class is in order.

PLEASE THINK ABOUT IT ITS A GENERIC MEDICAMENT MORE CHEAPER HOW DOES THINGS MORE CHEAPER WITH THE SAME QUALITY??? SO PROBABLY HE IS RIGHT ABOUT BEING A LOWER QUALITY

Obviously you have no clue about generic medications. First off, when a medication is first created it is patented by the manufacturer. That gives them a period where no one else can sell the drug, not even as a generic/other brand. Once that time has passed, other companies make it the same exact way. Nothing about a generic is different in terms of the active ingredients.

The question should not be why are generics so cheap, but why the name brand is so damn expensive. The answer is simple! When the name brand has the patent and generics are not allowed, they can charge whatever they want. The price is high to recover research and development costs, marketing costs, ect... After it does become available for other manufacturers, the price of the name brand comes down, but is still higher than the generics. At that point the price is not high because the company is trying to recover costs, but simply because it is they name brand and they can still sell it to people who think prescription generics are somehow inferior.

You guys do all realize that Ritalin and Concerta are the exact same drug, but Concerta is sustained release, right?
And that Generic medication is the exact same as name brand, without all of the hype and expense?

To all of those in the argument about "generic brands", yes they are chemically the same, but for some reason the effects are not the same, some time ago I was switched from Ritalin SR (Branded) to Rubifen SR, exactly the same composition, but the effects weren't the same, I can't explain why, spoke to my pharmacist and he reckoned that slight differences in the manufacturing process could yield slightly different results.

I work and am getting my B.A. just found out I have ADHD like 2/3 yrs ago.HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Have no insurance (work at an elementary with no benefits) am taking Ritalin and its so hard because I have to deal with the Department of Mental Health who are extremely inefficient. I want to cry and have had anxiety because of them Oh and I have anxiety, take Ativan for it. Feel that it is such a daily struggle just going to work and school, its like life is a daily struggle which I am trying to get control of.My life is like a roller coster every day. And now no one with ADHD and feel no one understands, and don’t know how to deal with it. Any advice??? :'( ?

I work in the mental health field and just want to offer some advice. Everyone thinks pills are the magic wand, but that's just one step in the recovery process. Find an agency that can offer you counseling and peer support. All the treatments working together will be more effective than just trying medication (which is trial and error anyway). Good luck to you!