I have been using Yasmin contraceptive pills for five months now. I worry about putting on weight, because I know that contraceptive pills contain female hormone which increase appetite. I am unhappy because of that. Will I gain weight if I continue to use Yasmin?

Yes, all contraceptive pills contain female hormones along with other substances. Yasmin contains Drospirenone which is a synthetic equivalent to Progesterone, which our body produces naturally, and it works in the same way too. If your body suffers from water (fluid) retention, which can cause weight gain, I read that Drospirenone helps your body lose water. So, you can stop worrying and feeling bad thanks to new synthetic hormone used in a pill .You will not gain any weight and who knows you might lose some. Side effects of Yasmin are similar to other contraceptive pills, like: irregular bleeding, nervousness, breast tenderness, depression etc. You should not take Yasmin in case you have kidney, adrenal or liver diseases. I had a same problem, but I actually put on a few pounds, and now with Yasmin I’m back to normal. And for other side effects I don’t have any advice for you, it is really an individual thing.