I am not sure about taking insulin injections if it means I am going to gain weight.  i am trying to LOSE weight, not gain it.  The doctor said that the pills I take are not helping anymore.  I heard someone say that insulin injections cause weight gain and fluid retention.  Their grandmother has to take them and she is very overweight.  Aren't there some other alternatives to insulin?  I rreally don't want to take them, plus I don't like needles.  WHat can I do?

Hello!  I read that you are concerned about gaining weight with taking insulin injections.  Whoever told you that you gain weight taking insulin is wrong.  Insulin is a hormone that is made in our own bodies.  It is natural and it is essential for our bodies to have.  Insulin is the gatekeeper to our bodies' cells. It allows glucose to enter our cells so that they have energy to function well and survive.  When your body doesn't have enough insulin in the bloodstream or the cells become insulin resistant, the cells cannot do the things they are suppose to do.  That is why diabetes can be such a serious issue.  The longer it goes without treatment, the more damage is done to the diabetic's body. 

It is essential that you take your insulin as your doctor prescribes.  And don't worry about weight gain.  Your friend's grandmother may be having other health issues causing her to be overweight or she isn't following her diabetic meal plan.  If you are following the plan your doctor or dietician has laid out for you, you will lose weight. Adding an exercise plan with your diet will make it more effective for you to lose weight and control your blood sugars.

Are there any diabetics out there that believe they gained weight taking insulin injections?  Please offer your story or experience here. 

Not true other factors are involved. My pancreas is no longer producing any insulin and so all of my insulin is artificially induced. I exercise on a regular basis using HIIT high intensity interval training. I watch what I eat and eat healthy never eating any processed foods or restaurant foods. All of this with 2 hours of exercise each day 5 to 6 days a week and I am able to maintain my weight. I recently hurt my back still eating a healthy diet but could not exercise for about 8 months weight went up. DON'T TELL ME INSULIN DOES NOT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN!

Yes I am a diabetic and have become morbidly obese since taking injectable insulin. I was very concerned because my doctor wants me to get a bariatic sleeve. I have just done some reading and experts concur that injectable insulin infact is the cause of weight gain....................

_removed_