I have been dieting for few months. One week the scales will say I have gained a pound or two and the next week I will be at the previous weight. For example: 2 days after my period started I was 100. Four days later I was down to 107. I waited one week and the next Saturday I was up to 110.5 without changing my eating habits or anything. My friend told me that it is all because of water retention. Is it possible that my menstruation affects water in my body?

Since our bodies are comprised of 55% to 75% water, weight can fluctuate on a daily or even hourly basis due to fluid changes, like atmospheric pressure, humidity, salt intake and certain medications all contribute to water retention and therefore a shift in weight. In addition, we lose and gain water weight in response to sweating followed by drinking after exercise as a matter of fact it’s not uncommon to gain 2-3 pounds from morning to evening, because we retain fluid as the day progresses. Your experience with gaining weight as menstruation approaches is also part of a healthy bodily cycle because water is retained as estrogen levels drop and progesterone rises.