Hi Guys,

i wanted to ask a question seeing that alot of people have had side effects with this pill. I am 20 yrs old and have been on birth control for the past year. In this past yr, i've switched 3 pills, and have been constantly sick. More recently, I've been on yasmin for 4 months, about to start my 5th month possibly. In these past 4 months I've been bloated substantially, gained 15 pounds, which for me who goes to the gym almost every day and eat extremely healthily doesn't make sense. I've had the worst stomach problems, to the point where ther are days i dont want to eat or even move because either i'm constipated or i have diarrhea. my nutritionist thinks that I have candida overgrowth from the pill. But the most weird thing has happened this last month. I've been sick all the month, acid reflux and nausea, horrible gas pains, and just this past wednesday i went to bed and all of a sudden it felt like my left side went numb, and my stomach spazzed and my chest started to hurt, i didn't know what it was, but my dad said i was just freaking out/ having a major panic attack. My periods are only 4 days long, but they are still heavy, heavier than my others were on the other pills.
However, whenever i've been on any birth control, i've gained 15 pounds, and have had even worse stomach problems that i ever had in the past. my doctor says its not birth control causing any of this, but other than that nothing substanially has changed since i've been sick. I was told my thyroid is underactive, but that was only the last 2 months, and i was feeling sick before that. so then, my question is what can i do?? I really need to do something about this, I'm just so sick that i dont want to do anything, i can't where clothes because i'm so bloated, and i've gained so much weight that my already low self esteem is even worse. I need something, but every time i've tried hormones i feel so sick I just want to stop everything so what do i do??

Hi I just found your post while doing a search for the same problem! I started taking the pill at 19, I'm now 24, and the same year I started the pill my stomach issues began... I was diagnosed with acid reflux, a hiatal hernia, irritable bowel syndrome...The pain I get is horrible - sharp pain in the center of my stomach/diaphragm area, gas ALL the damn time, abnormal bowels, the list goes on. I am a very healthy eater and I work out constantly so I know it is nothing in my diet or lifestyle. In fact, I've had to work my diet around the stomach problems, it's awful. I never even thought of linking the pill to these problems until a friend of mine realized her nausea was coming from her use of the pill. I take Orthotricylene Lo. I hope you find my response and hope you're feeling better! Any information you've found is greatly appreciated! ~Meg

I also had problems with the Yasmin at the beginning, but after a couple of days, I was just fine. I also noticed that I gained some weight, but that was also until my body was not used to those pills. I also had nausea, headaches, I was dizzy, but my gynecologist told me that those are the side - effects. Also, I would like to say that I strongly do believe that the Yasmin is a birth control that doesn't make you gain weight, based on my own experience. I also think that this is not even one of the side - an effect that you can find on the list of the side - effects. There are must be some other reasons for this. 

Hi, this was really weird to read, as for a few years now I have been diagnosed with Irritable bowel syndrome. I am 20 years old and have been on the contraceptive pill on and off for 2 1/2 years, I was swapped to a lower estrogen pill.. however I experience constant stomach problems, loss of appetite, headaches and constant nausea.. I feel sick permanently... I am hoping that if i stop taking my pill it may go away!

Hi, I look at this and I am in shock. Almost the same exact things
have Been happening to me! I have been on Yazmin for about 2 years on and off
and for a while I seemed to be ok. But over the last nine months I have been
experiencing stomach problems constantly! Will be randomly extremely nausiated
and I have noticed I have been getting alot of bladder infections.
And I'm very careful about that. And I just resently almost went through kidney failure
from what I though was a urinary infection so they told me.
Buy then I seen a comercial for a law firm sueing because yaz or yazmin cause those and
many many other things. So please everyone beware of Yazmin. I'm going to change to a different
pill asap. Oh and also! I have gained alot of weight to! And all so fast!
I mean I did stop exercising everyday cause I used to run 4 miles a day and do pilates.
But I still do work out. And I gained about 10-15 pounds in less then a months time.
Oh and! I stop taking the pill for a couple weeks, and my stomach pains were almost nowhere to be found.
And I seem to be very tired on the pill, feel like I never get enough sleep, but when I was off the pill I seemedd to sleep great.
And now I've been back on it for just a few days and I woke up with severe lower stomach pain that
radiates my lower back, stomach, and even slightly in my ..lower areas. It's slightly better but still very bothersome.
Please let me know any other info u have!

Hi Ladies,

I too experienced stomach problems, which i realised only started after I started taking the pill. I was on Yasmin for about three years - often got sick, and due to re occuring stomach pain i switched to Yaz. I had no pain on Yaz but a much more sensitive stomach. Because i never once got sick before i started taking the pill and after i started taking it Iwould get quite a few cases of food poisoning and gastro.
I have stopped taking it. It has been five months and my stomach is getting better with each month. It doesnt make so many crazy noises, more normal bowel movements. Around my period im a little bit off, but I believe thats just a hormone thing.

I have definately read in medical journals that the pill can affect your stomach e.g. Deana, D., Dean, P. (1995). Reversible Ischemic Colitis in Young Women: Association with Oral Contraceptive Use. The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, 19(4), 454-462.. And in a book by Dr Paula Baille-Hamilton, she lists the pill as a trigger to IBS.

I stopped taking the pill and am feeling much better. But i did have nausea for about 2-3 months after taking it. It took a while for my hormones to settle down. I took omega 3 and 6 supplements and drank lemon with water to cleanse my liver. Feeling 95% now .

I wish I searched for a connection between birth control pills and stomach issues 9 months ago before it got so bad. Let me start from the beginning.

When I was younger I was forced onto the pill by my mother who didn't believe that I knew enough about protection not to get pregnant. Well within a few months (I think 6-9) I began to feel sick in the morning but it quickly passed. I then went off the pill as soon as I moved in with my bf. I just hated having to take it everyday. My problems soon stopped and I wasn't getting sick in the mornings anymore.

Now fast forward 3 years. I am having horrible cramps for 2 or more weeks a month (my cycles where 38-40 days long...) and finally my boyfriend had enough of seeing me in pain. He took me to the doctor and she put me on Yasmin to "see". She suspected endometriosis since it runs in my family. Well the first 3 months were bliss. My cramps went away, the flow was much lighter...but then I noticed that I stopped losing weight (I had lost 32 lbs in a 5 month period and was still hoping to lose more). Then one day I thought I had a common stomach flu, when it wasn't better a week later I went to the doctor. She told me I was constipated and gave me a mild laxative. Two weeks pass with no change and I went back, this time I got the joys of an enema. I couldn't handle it after the first one and she wanted me to do 3...my skin was to sensitive. I went back not even a week later and this time I had diarrhea off and on. She said I was still constipated and gave me coal pills to help with the diarrhea. By this time I figured she was crazy and started looking for herbal remedies. I upped the fiber in my diet along with more water. I tried to eat as healthy as possible and exercise when my stomach allowed. I played with my diet to see what foods do what.

Here I am, 7 months later. On a lactose free diet (it helped with painful gas I started to get) and with constant diarrhea. I have gained 10/11 lbs in the past 2 months and feel ultra bloated. I tried to contact my doctor 2 months ago but never got a reply. My cramps are becoming quite painful again and I always have the feeling that I'm not bleeding out enough during the rest week. My boyfriend brought up the symptoms I had on the last pill and I do feel like it is a more severe version of what I was feeling. That is why I started looking it up. I plan to stop the pills all together, I just don't want to waste the money I spent on them already (no insurance).

I just started a new pack (4 days ago) but after reading this and a lot of other pages I might not take anymore. The last time I went off the pill it took me 6 months to get my period again. I also developed really bad PMDD to the point my boyfriend was going crazy. I really don't want that to happen again.

I have started taking yasmin about two weeks ago, since then i feel sick all the time, one minute i think im fine and the next i have waves of nausea, im bleeding in between as well and anxious all the time, is this normal?

I'm not positive how long I've been on Yasmin, but I feel like it's been about a year, year and a half. Coincidentally, for the past year I've had problems with my stomach bloating on and off. For a month from January to February of this year, I was constantly so full that I hardly ate. That passed but the bloating and pains would come intermittently. I started getting horrible acid reflux in August and after some trials of different meds, was put on Nexium in September. I saw my gastroenterologist who doubled my dosage of Nexium to 80 mg per day and he also doubled my domperidone to 60 mg per day (for my gastroparesis). My upper GI series and CT scans have both come back normal, aside from the GI series showing substantial reflux. Since my problem is not structural, my gastro figured it would pass. I saw him again two weeks ago and he told me I could start weaning myself off the Nexium and I agreed because I was feeling better (from early Nov, I was feeling great). However, about 4 days after reducing the Nexium to 40mg per day, the acid came back. I started thinking if it's not structural, maybe it's caused by some meds I'm on. I take Cal-Mag, which I researched and found too much magnesium can cause acid reflux. Then this morning I found that some ladies are having problems with Yasmin. I'm on my placebo week till Sunday, at which time I'm supposed to start the pills again. I'm not going to. I've also had increased cramping the last couple months and I feel like I've been dragging my ass for the past year. If I start feeling better after being off the Yasmin for a few weeks or whatever, my doctor will hear about it. I was shocked to hear about the side effects (many of which I have though I had less non-period-related side effects with other pills) and the lawsuits from people who took Yasmin. I feel like it's a good thing I'm stopping when I am.

hi all ive just started taking yasmin 2 weeks ago and i feel sick all the time aswell as having no energy ive put on 12 pounds in 2 weeks how i dont know as i wasnt fit to eat wit a bad stomach seiously tink life is to short for this c**p 

I haven't put on any weight, but I've been experiencing stomach pains and nausea. My appetite has been non-existant for the past week (I've been on yasmin for about 2 weeks). It's hard to sleep because I feel so sick at night, but by the morning I usually feel better. It's comforting to know that this is a common issue, though I hope it will subside a bit. Is there anyone who has found they've had issues that have gone away after a while? Does it get any easier on the pill?

I have all of the above symptoms that have been listed. I have sever problems with both my stomach and bowels. Since taking the pills I have not been the same. I have cut many foods out of my diet in order to feel better but nothing seems to work. I have been on 3 different kinds of oral contraceptives that made me extremely sick. After trying very hard to convince my doctor that birth control was the problem she switched me to a hormone ring that stays in 3 weeks and is removed for one. This seemed to cut back drastically on the symptoms for a while. However most recently I have been getting extremely sick again. I have pains in my esophagus when i eat. I have rotating diarrhea and constipation as well as constant stomach pains. I have been tested for all types of bacteria and other problems but I am still convinced that non natural hormones are the problem. I am currently on stomach medication for two weeks and if that does not seem to fix the problem I will be coming of the hormones to see if that helps.

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories it really helps bring light to the situation.

Same thing has been happening to me, been on Yasmin for 4 months now I think. I switched from Cilest, that was giving my stomach issues Yasmin is much much worse. I have nausea indigestion, burping, bloating, gets so bad sometimes it makes my back ache, stomach cramps and tenderness in my stomach, that's gets so bad if I touch my stomach it makes me feel like I'm gonna be sick, also had acid reflux and loose bowels. I've had stool test to check for parasites I've have blood tests and an endoscopy to see what's wrong with me all come back fine. I've been taking omprezole to help with the bloating and reduce the acidity which did help alot but there was still the nausea. I suddenly realised that there was a week when I was away when alot of these symptoms had disappeared, the week when I had switch from one pill to the other, I stopped taking the pill for a week or so then started on the new one. Ive been googling away about the pill causing IBS and stomach problems and its all over the internet, I'm sure doctors will tell you the pill wont effect you like that but they are not the ones taking them, id listen to all the people taking them and experiencing problems thats the real evidence. I've stopped take the till now and I'm hoping in time my stomach will heal and settle. I might go one to try a different pill, it might be about finding one that's right for you, but if you do suspect you pill is causing you problems stop taking it give yourself a break and see if it makes a difference.

I've been on Yasmin for about 6 or 7 years and have had stomach problems for all that time. It started with bloating and belching. Then I developed lactose intolerance and IBS. My IBS is getting worse every week and I now have constant nausea as well. I feel like I'm going to vomit unless I'm actually eating. After reading this I'll definitely stop taking it! Thanks!

hi
ive started taking yasmin pills 3 days ago.its my first time of using contraceptive pills. ive taken it for my acne.since 2 days im getting stomach pain, back pain continuosly and odnt feel like eating .but the stomach pain is so horrible and after reading the reviews link with the pills ive decided to stop taking the pills. i betterlive with my acne instead of having cramp, stomach ache likethis. as someone says life is too short for that.