After series of tests, lot of talking and thorough descriptions of all my previous diseases, my doctor decided to prescribe Yasmin as an ideal birth control pill for me. After five days of taking it I am going through terrible emotional crisis. I was not an optimist but this is really exaggerated. I experience serious panic attacks - I fear that I will suffocate and that I can’t breathe. I’m depressed and moody. What to do? Anyone with similar symptoms? Panic attacks and depression don’t look like normal side effects of a birth control pill.

It is possible that these are just temporary side effects of Yasmin bcp. I suffered from depression (no panic attacks, to be honest) for about two months before I realised that it might have been caused by Yasmin. And just when I decided to check that with my gynaecologist (he warned me that depression, panic attacks, vomiting, nausea, blurry vision... are possible) the symptoms were gone. I gradually returned to my normal state of mind and nothing has gone wrong with the pill ever since. I hope you can cope with these difficulties because Yasmin is really good and if all the tests indicate that it suits you, you shouldn’t give up that easily. At least try it for one month - if the symptoms continue visit your gynaecologist. Shortness of breath is also a possible side effect, so you are not going to suffocate; it is all in your head.

I cannot use ANY hormonal birth control, so I have a NON hormonal IUD(PARAGARD). SOME women are especially sensitive to hormonal contraception, you may be one of them, and you may need to give it time to settle into your body.

Low doses of anti depressants are often used for women who have panic attacks and depression with the pill, that could be an option too.

Please log on to medications.com and read the yasmin forum. This will answer your question about whether your anxiety is caused by yasmin. I myself have had terrible side affects from yasmin. i never had anxiety or depression until i took yasmin. I have been on different bcp and never had anxiety as as side affect. Please do not risk your mental health on this pill. It totally changes your personality and frame of mind. You will not realise it but your family and friends will. I am only now recovering from the problems yasmin caused me. However i developed pernicious anaemia while on this pill and will have to have B12 injections for the rest of my life. Please email me directly if there is anything else you want to know about the experience i had with yasmin.

I stopped taking Yasmin birth control after about 4 months of use. I am a healthy, 25 year old woman who has never experienced depression or anxiety. After a few weeks on Yasmin, I began having serious panic attacks and completely irrational fears that consumed my life. My anxiety went through the roof and not being able to cope with the anxiety made me depressed. I also experienced physical problems: UTIs and yeast infections (never had one before Yasmin). It took me a while to be suspicious of the BCP. On a hunch, I stopped using it two months ago and feel like I have my life back. Right not I don't use any BCP. Probably an overreaction but I am terrified of all of it.

guest,
i know exactly how you felt.
I had the same problems while on yasmin but i persevered with it for a long time. Finally i could not tolerate it any more and stopped taking it. I am so glad i made that decision. It has been a long road but i am finally getting over that bad episode. I was on yasmin for 4 years so it had plenty of time to do damage. Glad you are ok now.

I was on Yasmin for a year and it messed with my emotions badly. I almost left my boyfriend of 10 years and couldn't stand myself. I would cry all of the time for no reason and always felt anxious. It was weird to me that this didn't all start till I was already on it for about 6 mos. Anyways, I switched to Loestrin and I feel like myself again finally. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I would be very careful with this pill if I were you.

Hi guest.
Log on to ***** and enter the yasmin forum. You will see that you are by no means the only woman this has happened to. I feel very sad for all the women who have gone through this. Did you get back with your boyfriend since changing pills.

**edited by moderator**

I took yasmin for a month and 28 days to the date I experienced the most terrifying and ongoing panic/anxiety attacks which I felt I couldn't breathe and was going to suffocate, I was offered various anti-depressants which I refused to take as I am breastfeeding a 6mnth old. I decided that it seemed very coincidental that the anxiety started once the pill started kicking in so I took myself off it and a fortnight later started to feel much better. I believe it caused a hormone imbalance which in turn caused the anxiety attacks. Just horrible, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I hope sharing my story helps!!

I have been on Yasmin for about 12 months now. About 3 months ago I experienced shortness of breath and waking up in the middle of the night feeling as though i was been suffocated. I had tests done because I thought I had an irregular heartbeat but the tests showed nothing. These symptoms lasted about 2 months, but I am not waiting for them to return again! I also get extremely emotional about 1 week before my period, I can't stand my boyfriend touching me in a sexual way during this time and I also get depressed and irritated at this time.I have now stopped taking Yasmin and am going to talk to my GP about other pills or maybe i will give my body a break for a while. I felt that yasmin stopped my intense period pain, but I would rather have pain for a day than these other horrible symptoms.

It is a really powerful eye opener to hear the comments from other woman about their reactions to Yasmin. I felt like I was going crazy. I have been on Yasmin about a year now and right off the bat I lost my sexual drive. I also didn't seem to respond to sexual stimulas the way I used to and had to start using lubricants regularly. The funny thing is, the week of the placebo pills I would be super turned on . . . of course I would also get my period so there was no real satisfaction at that time. Now I am experiencing irrational sorrow, fear, and what I am beginning to feel is serious depression . . . and it seems to hit me hardest in the first week of each new pack. I heading to my doctor this week and see if there is some alternative. . . its too bad that we women have to experiment with our bodies and our hormones to try to find the right mix! I wish there was something simpler.

I haven't taken Yasmin in particular, but have been on birth control for about five years now. About a year ago, I began having panic attacks. I would become terrified from any small ache or pain in my body, and it would quickly escalate into a full-blown panic attack. I stopped taking the birth control pill about six months ago, and I noticed less anxiety and no panic attacks! At the time, I didn't relate the two, however. About a month ago, I started taking the pill again (Ortho tri cyclene lo) and began experiencing increased anxiety again. I am stopping now for good. The side effects are just too scary!!

I am a 25 year old women...about 1 year ago I started having awful pain attacks and depression that totally consumed my life thought I was going crazy the only thing I could think about was myself. I didnt love anyone my life was completely miserable! I went to 2 psychatrist's and they couldnt even help me! I have never experienced this before, I went to the gyn todAY and he prescribed yasmin. Is this what I need? I have been on anti-depressiants and they dont seem to help either!! Hopeless and need help someone please give me some advice on what I need to do!!

I want to chime in here, even though I haven't taken Yasmin in particular. A few years ago I started on OrthoTriCyclen, which was a very popular BCP at the time. Long story short, I went into a very deep depression very quickly. I had never been seriously depressed before, and I was scared. I kept going back to my primary care physician, who put me on various different types of pills. She really did not believe that I was unable to handle even relatively low dose pills. I went off the pills for a while, after realizing that these things would be the end of me if I didn't (it's hard to see objectively when you're going through it). It was a tough decision, because I really wanted to be on the pill and felt that if others could do it, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to also. Anyway, after a long break I decided to try one more time (with a new PCP). OrthoTriCyclen Lo has been working relatively well for me for a couple of years now. My long-winded point is: Despite what some naysaying publications say, depression is a definite and dangerous BCP side effect. Listen to yourself!

I was on Yasmin for a little over a year for HRT.
I was consicered a "low risk" to be on them or so the drug commpanies lead the doctors to belive. I lead a pretty active life, got a physical every year, amoung other preventitive testings.

It almost killed me.
I had a charlie horse in my left leg, didnt think it was anything else. It was. 2 days later I ended up in the ER and diagnosed with DVT and bilateral pulmonary embolisms.

Every doctor that saw me in the hospital shook their head in discust , and one was very mad and said " I dont know why the OBGYN's put you girls on these things. I've seen to many tragic endings from them. You are very lucky to even be here!"

So now being at home for almost 2 months, I found out so much more about Yasmin then the white paper warnings tell you.

I am going to be on coumadin for at least 6 months, will miss my grandson being born because long car rides and flying are to risky right now.

Financially, it has caused us some hardship.

None of this had to happen. Im not looking for sympathy, Just wanted to share my horror story with Yasmin so someone else doesnt have to go through this.

Thanks for posting my story.
Kathy in Pennsylvania