Since I am pregnant I search on the net a lot about different terms I didn’t know. I feel like I should be informed about pregnancy more then while I was girl, and I should know what to expect. During my search I read in one magazine there are different placentas. I learned what placenta is, and I thought it was enough, but now I can’t understand what placenta accreta is. I would like to hear more about this new term for me.

Placenta accreta is abnormally firm attachment of the placenta to the uterine wall. Collectively termed “Placenta Accreta” there is three variants of the condition that are recongnized. In most common form, Accreta, the placenta is attached directly to the muscle of the uterus wall. This variant accounts round 75-78% of all cases. 17% of the cases placenta extends into the uterine muscle and is termed Placenta Increta. In remaining 5-7% placenta extends through the entire wall of the uterus and is termed Placenta Percreta. In Placenta Accreta, abnormally firm attachment of the placenta to the uterine wall prevents the placenta from separating normally after the delivery. Severe bleeding and surgical attempts to control bleeding are major sources of maternal morbidity and mortality in cases of Placenta Accreta. Blood transfusions are required in more than 50% of patients with Accreta. This type of placenta should be suspected in all women with Placenta Previa.