I have been reading that obstetrical emergencies are life-threatening medical conditions. It scared me that I have heard it occur in pregnancy, during, or after labor and delivery. Since I am pregnant now, I wish to hear all about possible complications. That is why I want you to tell me more about obstetrical emergencies, which might happen to me. Can you tell me more about obstetrical emergencies that usually happens?

You have to know there are a number of illnesses and disorders of pregnancy that are called obstetrical emergencies. That can threaten the well-being of both mother and child. Obstetrical emergencies may also occur during active labor, and after delivery, or period known as postpartum. The most famous obstetrical emergencies of pregnancy are cases of ectopic pregnancy. This ectopic, or tubal, pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg implants itself in the fallopian tube rather than the uterine wall. If the pregnancy is not terminated at an early stage, the fallopian tube will rupture. This is causing internal hemorrhaging and potentially resulting in permanent infertility. Placental abruption occurs as one case for obstetrical emergency, when the placenta separates from the uterus prematurely, causing bleeding and contractions. If over 50% of the placenta separates, both the fetus and mother are at risk, which is why this is considered as obstetrical emergency. Preeclampsia, toxemia, or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure, causes severe edema and can impair kidney and liver function, which is also common obstetrical problem.