I am 7 weeks pregnant. Recently, I have noticed that I am spotting and that I have mucusy discharge. Is this a sign of a miscarriage? Can someone tell me more about this?

You did not tell me if you went to your doctor? If not, you need to go as soon as possible. Symptoms like spotting are not the one you should ignore. Spotting is light bleeding from the vagina similar to a period, but much lighter and it varies in color from red to brown. Light bleeding or spotting during pregnancy, particularly during the first three months, is fairly common but not exactly normal. There are many causes for spotting early in pregnancy. For example, when the fertilized egg attaches itself to the wall of the uterus, you may experience some implantation bleeding. This bleeding is usually light and lasts a day or two. Spotting also takes place if you have a vaginal infection, inflamed cervix or a cervical polyp, a benign growth. Spotting can also be an early sign of miscarriage or an entopic pregnancy, especially if accompanied by abdominal pain or cramping. In the third trimester of pregnancy, bleeding or spotting can be a sign of a condition called placenta abruption. In this condition the placenta separates from the uterus). Spotting can also be a sign of premature labor.