I have a friend who works with me who seemed to have problems with health all the time. Finally, one day I asked him what is wrong with him. He said something that he has alkaline phosphatase problem. Off course I did not understood anything, which is why I am asking you this. Can you tell me what alkaline phosphatase means, and something more about it?

Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme made in the liver, bone, and the placenta. It is normally present in high concentrations in growing bone and in bile. Alkaline phosphatase is released into the blood during injury and during such normal activities such as bone growth and pregnancy. It is measured in a routine blood test, and results are measured. Abnormally high blood levels of alkaline phosphatase may indicate disease in bone or liver, bile duct obstruction, or certain malignancies that might occur. The enzyme is often elevated in the leukemic cells in chronic myelogenous leukemia, so mostly this is indication why doctor wants to have alkaline phosphatase tested. Abnormally low levels of alkaline phosphatase, is a genetic condition called hypophosphatasia that is going to result in bone deformities. The enzyme is termed alkaline phosphatase because it works under alkaline, which means non-acidic, conditions. There are few different kinds of it, such as bacterial alkaline phosphatase (BAP), which is the most active of the enzymes. Calf intestinal alkaline phosphatase (CIP) is purified from bovine intestine, and this is phosphatase most widely used in molecular biology labs.