Hi, folks. My nephew has been diagnosed with acute leukemia. I know that this is serious and he is recommended mercapturin as a treatment option. I really don’t know how this will affect him. Can anyone tell me something more about this? I would really appreciate all your help. Bye and thanks!

Hi, there. Mecaptopurine is a chemotherapeutic agent that affects cancer cells. It blocks their growth and blocks their spreading in the organism. It is usually used for treating acute leukemias such as acute lymphatic and acute myelogenous leukemia. Using this medication leads to some side effects. It can cause liver or kidney problems. That is why regular checkups are needed. You should consult a specialist for more details. Leukemia is a serious disease and needs a serious approach. I hope everything will be all right.