Hi, I went to doctor concerned about fatigue, weakness and shortness of breath, and all test results were clear. Then he sent me to bone marrow biopsy, and it turned out that I have acute promyelocytic leukemia. What can I expect from my future?

Hi, my father suffers from acute promyelocytic leukemia. At first, doctor didn’t know what was wrong with him, because there were no obvious causes of fatigue and bleeding. Then he did a blood test, and his results were terrible. He had anemia, low levels of the granulocytes and monocytes, and low levels of platelets which are needed for blood to clot normally. His blood picture was so bad, that he needed to receive transfusion. It became obvious that he had acute promyelocytic leukemia. A doctor said that best therapy for my father is the combination of ATRA and chemotherapy. It usually helps 75% of the patients. It is hard to say what to expect from a future when you suffer from acute promyelocytic leukemia. You just have to fight this disease and try to stay positive.