I read a while back that there is a proven link between crohn's disease and leukemia. I can’t remember the source now, but I would really like to find out more about this. Has anyone read a study proving the link? If so, do you know what it is called and where I will be able to find such study? Thanks in advance for your help.

I have read this as well, but not from any reliable or even reputable source. I agree that links between various diseases should always be studied further if funds are available, but for now I see no reason to suspect links between crohn's disease and leukaemia. If anyone has different views, I would be happy to hear!

Hello there marshall1977,

I completely agree with luciano1339. There is no way that you can find a link between Chron’s disease and Leukemia and that this is valid source.

Anyhow, these two conditions are bad on its own and connected together you can get only disaster.

Is there any good reason for your curiosity, I mean is someone you know sick with one of these conditions or you are just wondering about the possibility?

I sincerely hope that the answer to my question is negative.

If you by any chance find that link with the research please let me know because I would like to read what has fascinated you so much about it.  

I was looking into this for research purposes, and it seems to be a pretty well known phenomenon that people have looked at since the 80's. Here are three papers, one from the 80's, and two more recent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3463495
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22180424
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15831904

I would love to know if anyone finds recent, reputable data. My daughter was dx at age 1 with Crohn's Disease and my son the following year with Philadelphia Chromosome Positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (Ph+ALL). Thank you. 

My mum is undergoing chemo after developing acute myeloid leukaemia because of taking azathiaprine for crohns disease. She was told it was more than likely the immunosuppressants that have caused it.

I too have CML and Crohn's Disease. I did read a paper published in the AMA journals but do not remember where. I too am trying to find the link so I may get my Service Disability adjusted. Again if anyone can help guide us it will be appreciated.

Before newer tech was developed Crohns was seen through High Rad CT scans. exposure to these scans triggered the active Gene that is known to cause CML.

My mum also developed AML caused by azathiaroprine for Crohn's disease.

One year ago tomorrow, my 16 year old son passed away from therapy related Acute Myeloid Leukemia that his oncologists believe was caused by taking 6mp for Crohn's Disease. He was just starting Remicade and weaning off the 6mp when the leukemia was discovered in his blood. He was only on the 6mp for 15 months. He had none of the chromosome deletions mentioned with tAML, but his cancer was unresponsive to chemotherapy. He never achieved a remission. As a parent who was vigilant in resisting every new med his gastroenterologist wanted to give him, I am devastated at the loss of my son. In his case the treatment was worse than the Crohn's Disease ever was. The literature and warnings I read mentioned Remicade and teenage boys but it was related to a fatal liver cancer, not leukemia. But the pharmaceutical companies lump "leukemias" with the "lymphomas". His doctors said this was the most aggressive cancer they have ever seen in a child. I would recommend any parent of a teenage boy with inflammatory bowel disease to steer clear of these meds.