Hi, folks. My nephew is diagnosed with leukemia. We are still in shock and we cannot believe what has happened to him. I know that this is a serious disease and I don’t know how we will handle it. What is the average life expectancy for leukemia? I would really appreciate all your replies considering this topic.

Well,

It is very unfortunate to hear that your nephew has this horrible disease. I know that there is acute leukemia and chronic leukemia and the life expectancy is different for each type of leukemia. One type of leukemia spreads more rapidly and the chances of treatment are much lower, as on the other hand patient has more chances of survivor. In chronic leukemia the disease progresses much slower and it takes time for it to mature. Leukemia attacks white blood cells in the body. How old is your nephew?  What did his doctor suggest that is the best treatment option? I hope this helped you in any way.

All the best,

Nelie

I was told five years...with remission could be longer

There are four basic types of leukemia. In earlier acute forms of leukemia, complete remission occurs in 70 - 80% of patients. Overall, about 33% of persons under age 65 survive free of disease at 5 years from diagnosis. In general, patients who are younger have a better chance of survival than older patients. This is partly due to one's ability to tolerate the strong chemotherapy medicines.
Patients who have not experienced a relapse during these 5 years are considered permanently cured, since most relapses occur within 2 years of diagnosis.
In the chronic forms, the life expectancy is 10-20 years.
My prayers are with him.
Good Luck.