Hello, folks. My friend was suffering from acute otitis. I think she didn’t treat it on time, so it got worse. She even got acute mastoiditis. I would like to know about this other condition. Is it common as a complication of acute otitis? I will appreciate all your replies considering this.

Hello, there. Acute mastoiditis was a common complication of acute otitis, especially in pre-antibiotic era. The use of antibiotics has decreased the incidence of mastoiditis. It usually follows an episode of acute otitis media. Pain behind ear and fever are the main symptoms. Antibiotics here are administrated intravenously. Surgical method that helps is tympanostomy or myringotomy. If the case is more complicated, then mastoidectomy is performed. I hope your friend will be all right. Good luck to her.