Hi, folks. My sister has been diagnosed with haemophilus infection, so she has to treat it now. I would like to know how third generation of cephalosporines are in treating these infections. Can anyone tell me something more about this? I would really appreciate all your replies. Thanks in advance, folks!

Hi, there. You haven’t mentioned where this haemophilus infection is localized. It can be anywhere in the body. Haemophilus influenzae can cause different infections. The most common ones are: meningitis, pneumonia, cellulitis, otitis media, etc. Which antibiotic will be used depends on localization of the infection. But in general, third generation of cephalosporin can be used for treating Haemophilus infections. I hope your sister will be fine. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hello, everyone. Of course that cephalosporins of the third generation can be used. Haemophilus is sensitive to them. There are: ceftriaxon, cefotaxime, ceftazidime, etc. You should just pick one. I am kidding a little. Your sister should talk to her doctor if she feels uncertain. He will clarify everything to her. If you find out something new, you can share it with us. Please, let me know if you find out something new. Bye!

Hi, there. I think that the third generation of cephalosporins is a good choice. These medications show better effect on Gram negative than on Gram positive bacteria. Just to remind, Haemophilus influenzae is a Gram negative bacterium. These antibiotics are pretty strong and should be kept for serious infections. Haemophilus usually causes serious infections, so I am not surprised. If you have any doubts, consult your sister’s doctor. I am sure he will provide you with more info. Good luck to her! Bye!