Hello, folks. My friends have been recently in hospital since their kid had some infection. As far as I hear, he is diagnosed with listeriosis. I admit that I have never heard about this infection before. What kind of illness is this? I will really appreciate all your replies considering this.

Hello. Listeriosis is a bacterial infection. The bacterium that causes it is called Lysteria monocytogenes. It is a Gram positive bacterium. It is motile as well. Listeriosis is a rare infection. It mostly affects infants and elderly people. It also affects people who are immune compromised. I hope your friend’s kid will be all right. Bye!

Hello, guys. My little cousin had listeriosis. As far as I know, Listeria is “fond of” central nervous system and its parenchyma. It has special affinity to brain stem and meninges. It can cause palsies of cranial nerves, meningitis, encephalitis, meningoencephalitis and abscesses. It can also cause neonatal infections. This bacterium is isolated from blood, nose, ears, meconium, placenta and throat. It can also give infections of vagina and uterus in pregnancy. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, good people. Listeriosis is indeed rare disease. However, when it happens, it should be treated promptly. Antibiotics that are used here are usually cephalosporins of the fourth generation. They are given intravenously. The treatment usually lasts for 10 days, but it can vary. It depends on several factors. I don’t want to frighten you, but kids with damaged immune system can develop this infection. Your friends should demand on detailed tests for their kid. Maybe there is some serious underlying cause.

Listeria monocytogenes is a bacteria that causes the food borne illness listeriosis. It is a rare, yet potentially deadly, infection.

Listeria hangs out in soil, water and animals. And it has the noteworthy capability of growing in cold environments, i.e. your refrigerator.

Lesteriosis is caused by eating listeria monocytogenes contaminated food. Generally, vegetables can be contaminated from the soil, infected animals can contaminate meat and foods made with unpasteurized milk may contain listeria.

Some foods listeria is known to infect include:

* shellfish
* cold cuts
* deli meats
* soft cheeses
* raw hot dogs
* undercooked chicken
* unpasteurized milk products
* uncooked contaminated cabbage