Hello, guys. My friend has been diagnosed with meningococcal sepsis and has been immediately administrated to the hospital. The first thing that was noticeable in his case was a skin rash. Is this common for this kind of condition? I would really appreciate for all your replies considering this. Thanks. Bye!

Hello. You are right. Skin rash is indeed one of the characteristics of meningococcal sepsis. Sepsis means that bacteria are present in the bloodstream. This is dangerous since they can be disseminated everywhere. They can cause damages in many organs. Some of them are adrenal glands. This sepsis can be joined with meningitis, but this is not necessary. I hope your friend will be all right. Good luck with all!

Hi, guys. My aunt had meningococcal sepsis few years ago. I really don’t know how she got it. As far as I know, Neisseria meningitidis lives in nose and throat normally. In some cases, immune system weakens, so bacteria enter the bloodstream. Anyway, she did have this skin rash. It was purpure. She also had some petechiae on her conjunctivas. I hope your friend will be all right. Bye!

Good evening, people. Meningococcal sepsis is not something to joke with. This is a really serious condition. It is good that your friend has been administrated to the hospital. In this way, he will get a proper care. This skin rash is one of the signs of this condition. It is good that it exists since doctors may not suspect on Neisseria meningitidis. I suppose that this rash appears as immune response to the Niesseria presence in the bloodstream. Good luck! Bye!