Hi, my son suffers from attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and he uses dexedrine. However, I heard this drug may stunt a child’s growth. Is adderall better than dezedrine?

Both adderall and dexedrine are stimulant drugs used for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. It is true that Dexedrine may stunt a child’s growth, so it’s recommended to monitor the growth regularly. I heard from many people that dexerine is less effective than adderall, and that dexerine is a smoother drug. However, with children is different, and everything has to be carefully considered. Children can not have long-term adderall therapy, but at least it doesn’t affect the growth like other amphetamine-based medications. If you’re not sure what’s best for your son, you should talk to his doctor or ask for a second opinion. The therapy should occasionally be checked by a doctor, in case that it has to be stopped. Be careful and stick to recommended dosage, because adderall and dexedrine are both stimulant drugs and may cause an addiction.

I take adderall and can say with utter certainty that under no cercumstances should you give it to your young kid. Take one and see if it is something that should be in the system of an 8 year old. Non stimulant based drugs will suit you best, seriously.

I am 20 years old and I agree with the last post. I have been taking adderall XR for the past 2 years. I don't think that any child should be exposed to such an intense stimulant. Not only does it risk causing any negative physical and possible mental/emotional problems, I think it could also lead to future drug abuse.

My son took ritalin and adderall both ended up with adderall doing better-took from 3rd grade to graduation from high school He is over 6 feet tall!!!. NO growth stunt with HIM! HAD to make sure he took WITH MEALS or wasn't hungry! He also took it weekend and summers, couldn't do homework or get along at summer camp. Counselors would come back to GET medicine! I am his mother in my 50's looking back see how I and my Dad had ADHD. I have taken Dexedrine for yrs. Don't let people scare you about stimulants!- I was also a public school teacher for 20+yrs. Seen from BOTH sides! If a child really needs med he is deficient in certain chemicals will even show up on brain scans. If your child was Diabetic you would think NOTHING about making sure he always had it. SAME thing-lack of chemicals that SHOULD be there ALL the time not drop off weekend and summers they have found out. Just makes your body get adjusted to it over and over I had a student one time who was extremely ADHD walked around shaking his hands up and down. His Father came in (DOING THE SAME HAND THING) and protested loudly NO DRUGS! Mom finally got him on them-it was like a different child coming into my classroom, he didn't have the hand movements started learning went up on his reading level from 20 percentile to 70 percentile in ONE yr! Sadly I heard a few yrs later his Dad made him stop them he ended up dropping out of school. Should be the same as child abuse if you have evidence and professionals recognize how much child needs it! My son went to college on a voc rehab for his disability full paid tuition etc. BUT he dropped out even though he CLEPT out of many classes. I think someone who has a disability like him should have at least had a coach the first yr to help him keep on task in a completely different environment away from home where people do not check on your all the time! He ended up going here and there I had to LET GO! He then knew he needed to learn responsibility He joined the Coast Guard but they will NOT let a person take ANY kinds of meds for ADHD etc! Well he had wandered around the country for 2 yrs with NO meds so he got in. Did really well for yrs, then went to Middle East, lost his REAL Dad who had no contact with him for many yrs. He took care of funeral because no one else would. His Dad was an alcoholic who went through his whole family (5 sisters 4 brothers!). So his 29yr old son who was 11 when he last saw him (before I divorced him had to get a PO etc). saw him again DEAD in a morgue right after his tour in Mideast and home just 2 days. It really did something to him for a couple of yrs. He did not re-enroll in Coast Guard though he had 8yrs and been promoted twice. He is now going to College the VA pays for plus his living and making A's and B's. Said his old transcript of college he had to leave made him SICK realize all he had threw away! His girlfriend was very ADHD and her kids. THEY got on prescriptions and he saw the VAST difference it made! He said he HEARD words coming out of his Mouth about ADHD like I said to him! Now he says he KNOWS he need them and KNOWS I DID NOT DRUG HIM! THANK YOU LORD! He is going to go back and get some help again and get his life back on track WITH meds! He now understand what I went through myself and with him. SO I have been on both sides, took them and had a son too. Also a teacher who saw all aspects of it. When my 30 yr old 6 foot tall+ son gives me a strong hug and says THANKS Mom for not giving up on me! I KNOW I DID THE RIGHT THING! Hope you do what WORKS for your son! BEEN THERE DONE THAT EVERY WAY THERE WAS!

I would like to reply to the person who said children who have a deficiency in brain chemicals, this can be seen in tests. You are an id**t. You have no idea what you're talking about. There is no scientific evidence of a chemical imbalance in the brain. There is no scientific evidence that ADHD is a disease. It may be a disorder, I do not argue this, but it has no test, nor is it provable by any chemical test in the brain. You're a horrible person for giving people false information about a very serious drug, and a horrible parent/teacher for promoting amphetamines to children. As are all people who do this. This is speed we are talking about, not aspirin. You should be ashamed of yourself.